Page 1 of 7

Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 pm
by John Moore
Looking forward to the live games - but it's a shame there are only 4 boards.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:04 pm
by John Moore
Ah - looks like it was a technical hitch. Loads of games have now appeared. Don't know why I ever doubted Carl.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Moore wrote:Ah - looks like it was a technical hitch. Loads of games have now appeared. Don't know why I ever doubted Carl.
Thanks but nothing to do with me, your hero is Dave Clayton on site!

I am however back home after being unable to get in for a few days due to the level of the River Avon :roll:

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:17 pm
by John Moore
Well done to Dave then. Hope you don't have too much drying out to do Carl!

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:23 pm
by Carl Hibbard
John Moore wrote:Well done to Dave then. Hope you don't have too much drying out to do Carl!
No, second floor flat but being close enough to a river to throw a stone in means every so often you either get stuck in or stuck out

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:30 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Carl Hibbard wrote:I am however back home after being unable to get in for a few days due to the level of the River Avon :roll:
This is one of the advantages of living near the top of a big hill near Dudley. :)

[NB I don't say that when I have to walk up it to get home after chess matches...]

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:52 pm
by John Moore
Just one comment on Jones-Haydon. If you know your opponent plays the Bd3 Meran (and I am not suggesting David did in this game!), you can almost force the position after Black's move 10. Trouble is the resulting endgames are unpleasant for Black however you reach them. You may not be losing however and maybe it's a way to play against someone 300 elo above you.

I experimented with 6 .. Bd6 about 25 years ago and its not total rubbish. After all Black doesn't have to go into these endings. He can play 9 .. 0-0 10 0-0 h6.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm
by Clive Blackburn
Looking at the Jones-Haydon game, it finished after 48 moves when Haydon (who by then had a lost endgame) moved into check with ....Kd5.

It may be that he played this as a novel way of resigning or it may be that the king was placed there in the process of resetting the board at the end of the game.

Either way, I don't think that the software should relay illegal moves! :lol:

Hastings - great festive chess fayre

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm
by David Pardoe
Well, another Hastings Tournament has kicked off...and a pretty good field competing for this prestigeous event on the English/UK calander.
Here`s the live games showing round 2 in progress...lots of familiar names http://www.hastingschess.com/?page_id=1202
Various sections, including the one week morning & weekenders next w/e that might interest players looking to break in the new year with a chess outing....fair game.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Dave does seem to have a record number of games going?

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:13 pm
by John Moore
Great job by Dave - I did do a double take at the name of the young lady playing against Matthew Wadsworth but my eyesight is not as good as it was. Incidentally, having checked out her Fide rating, I see she is 2277 at the age of 17!! When she goes back to her hotel room tonight, she will probably be laughing at the silly English names.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard wrote:Dave does seem to have a record number of games going?
Hmm 2.15Mbps and climbing :roll:

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:30 pm
by John Moore
Can I suggest that Gawain didn't have any theory backup after c4 in the Breyer. Maybe it's no longer crucial but you presumably need to have something.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:58 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
John Moore wrote:Can I suggest that Gawain didn't have any theory backup after c4 in the Breyer. Maybe it's no longer crucial but you presumably need to have something.
Your suggestion is correct; he admitted this in the commentary room afterwards.

Re: Hastings

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm
by Alex Holowczak
Carl Hibbard wrote:Dave does seem to have a record number of games going?
Matt Carr had 32 going at the British Championship, and we've got 32 at Hastings. So they're tied for the record. It's likely to remain a tie on 32 for some time; there's only 32 in circulation, so far as I can tell.