British Rapidplay

Information regarding live broadcasts using the ECF sensory boards.
Andrew Bak

Re: British Rapidplay

Post by Andrew Bak » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Is it unreasonable to expect that round by round results and final crosstables should be available on a timely basis?
I guess you'd need to have electronic pairings to do this? They still use manual pairings which can take some time when you've got to manage downfloats of several score brackets.
Simon Ansell wrote: I think the answers to Mike's questions would be easier to fathom if the ECF actually put some money into the event. It is an established, well-supported event with a British title at stake after all. Even a small amount would probably make a difference in some areas, for example the website, and a modest increase in the first prize would probably encourage a couple more GMs to play.
I agree completely, the current prize fund isn't much more than a typical weekend congress. I doubt it would take too much more to encourage more titled participation, particularly with a British title at stake.

I enjoyed the new time control of 20+10 compared to the previous 30+0, more games are decided over the board rather than random time scrambles and arbiters having to have 20 pairs of eyes looking for 10.2 claims.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:02 pm

I guess you'd need to have electronic pairings to do this? They still use manual pairings which can take some time when you've got to manage downfloats of several score brackets.
And why are they doing that?

And why only four live boards?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 pm

I may be wrong, but I did over hear that there was a delay in the morning setting up (problem with the University) and perhaps they only had time four live boards, normally it has been 8.

Personally I still think it is idiotic not to use computer pairings (especially when playing with increments), they may have their own flaws but at least everybody knows were they stand. Also if you use computer pairings, the round by round results can easily uploading online

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Alan Walton wrote: Personally I still think it is idiotic not to use computer pairings (especially when playing with increments), they may have their own flaws but at least everybody knows were they stand. Also if you use computer pairings, the round by round results can easily uploading online
It's not as if computer pairings are that much of a novelty. I can recall playing in Germany in 1993 where the arbiter/ organiser turned up with an Atari ST, printer and a pairing program. It didn't make a lot of difference as far as rapid pairings in the main tournament which was one round a day over as many days, but did make a difference to a Saturday night Blitz, where the quick availability of pairings made for a rapid turnaround.

Simon Ansell

Post by Simon Ansell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am

Simon Ansell wrote: I think the answers to Mike's questions would be easier to fathom if the ECF actually put some money into the event. It is an established, well-supported event with a British title at stake after all. Even a small amount would probably make a difference in some areas, for example the website, and a modest increase in the first prize would probably encourage a couple more GMs to play. The live games should be considered a bonus with the current budget. I don't know how much the National Club costs to run, but in my opinion that money could be better spent elsewhere...
I've been informed via PM that the National Club actually made a small surplus last year, so please ignore that bit of my post. I still believe the British Rapidplay is an event worth supporting though!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:15 am

Simon Ansell wrote: I still believe the British Rapidplay is an event worth supporting though!
There's a curious paragraph about the British Rapidplay in the former CEO's report to the AGM.

As always, the reader needs to decode what "review ECF support" and "refreshing the legitimacy" are supposed to mean.
British Rapidplay

The British Chess Federation asked the current organisers to run the British Rapidplay before the ECF was established. The event continued to occupy a prominent position on the ECF website more than a decade since devolution. The Board should review ECF support with a view to refreshing the legitimacy of this well-attended British championship
The material prepared for the April meeting gives a detailed budget and analysis
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... udget.xlsx

It doesn't obviously contain any financial material about the British Rapidplay. I would draw the conclusion that it's run autonomously without any financial support to or from the ECF. That if itself is likely to improve the finances by up to 20%, by virtue of not having to add VAT to entry fees.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:33 am

Might be worth reading the event history to get some background

website

from which
The 25th Anniversary year in 2011 saw a great event won by GM Gawain Jones. The event was at L.M.U., and was a big success. Despite a promised £1000 support not appearing (from the President of the ECF)
I see there is a provisional booking for 26/27 November 2016, not sure why the change of date
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:07 am

Interesting history thanks. Compared to the British proper say, I guess its a slightly odd sort of national event with it always being in one part of one county, and the ECF loving stronghold of Yorkshire at that ;)

Suppose that's fine if its just an endorsement as now, if the ECF was to start funding it properly it'd maybe be logical for it to also starting to move round the country a bit.
(Or maybe just move between different extant major rapid plays from year to year.).

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 am

Most existing rapidplays are 1 day events, so I think the format of the British works well in showcasing it as a major and different event

I'd have thought Leeds was a convenient location too - better than Halifax for rail links for example - and the event seems to be very well supported

I'm sure if someone came up with a sponsored alternative proposition it would be carefully looked at, but I'm not sure if the ECF has a contract with the current organisers

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:41 am

From the annoucement made at the event yesterday the event thereabouts broke even

Therefore using the prize structure, if the ECF underwrote a doubling (most extreme) of the prize fund in every section (about £4000); it would only require an additional 30 entries in each section to cover this increase; obviously there will be additional cost as it is likely that more space would be needed.

I think it is worthy effort to try this out at least one year and see what happens; I can only envisage minimal risk with this investment

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:46 am

Alan

Any mention of why the proposed change of date? Preston weekend congress usually has that last weekend in November

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Venue you'd guess. Also though, Preston has (sadly perhaps) never really featured as a major factor when arranging the Yorkshire chess calendar. Even back when we had a few free weekends!

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Alan

Any mention of why the proposed change of date? Preston weekend congress usually has that last weekend in November
This event has often moved around within the month of November, the availability of the Great Hall at Leeds Beckett University being the primary factor.