ChessCube.com

The new online chess club in partnership with the company Chess Cube.
Ben Purton

Re: ChessCube.com

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:07 pm

I play on ICC, I am Peleus. My former handles were Tiree1, fork-me, Purton, My highest rating was on my last account TheMuse at 3017. I love the ICC. However, the levels of racism allowed in some of the chat is absurd.

Ben
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 pm

My housemate works for chesscube and speaks very highly of it
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm

personally, i play on chess.com, which i like a lot, for both correspondance and blitz
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:personally, i play on chess.com, which i like a lot, for both correspondance and blitz
I also play on chess.com. It's the only site I've found which I can bear to look at on a screen for more than 20 minutes at a time! (Bit like PokerStars for me - hated the look of all the other sites).

Part of the appeal of chess.com is that you get a years free membership if you are CM level or above (2200+). Free t-shirt as well :D Luckily I got in before my FIDE rating went into free-fall at the start of the sumer! I use it mainly for correspondence chess (to try out new openings relatively painlessly). Their LIVE chess is still in beta so it's not very reliable, but still good fun at times.

Andy Burnett

P.S. My handle there is streetfighter if anyone wants to play/contact me.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:06 pm

I use Chess.com too, purely because all my friends can use it for free. Originally, we all started playing on chessworld, but couldn't play each other after the first time unless we paid. You get unlimited games for free (unusually). It's also improving its live game server, and it has decent learning facilities too.

It also has a World League (which was great until I got kicked out of Team England for no reason :( ), and for English people, there is a County Championship administered by yours truly. :D

Following the pattern of distributing nicks, mine on that site is "alexholowczak". No prizes for originality, I guess.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Andy Burnett wrote: P.S. My handle there is streetfighter if anyone wants to play/contact me.
Would be easier challenge you if you hadn't turned challenges off... :wink:

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:00 pm

on there i am hypertroll, if people wish to challenge me.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Andy Burnett

Post by Andy Burnett » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Andy Burnett wrote: P.S. My handle there is streetfighter if anyone wants to play/contact me.
Would be easier challenge you if you hadn't turned challenges off... :wink:
Ooops, forgot about that - was trying to limit my games but hate saying no to a challenge! I'll turn it back on again and see how things go.

John Upham

Newsletter

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:57 am

HOME | PLAY | SHOP | CINEMA | BLOG | ARTICLES

Hi john_upham ,

SNEAK PEAK - CHESSCUBE'S NEW PLAY SITE
You have a special invite to an exclusive preview of our new playing site!

Be the first to see the new streamlined and faster Live Chess application.

New Features:
A new look!
Slick, intuitive design
Better player stats including winning & losing streaks
Find your friends

More details on your profiles

Plus, all the great features that you know and love, including:
Thousands of players online
Play your friends
Fast chess play, with no downloads
Great themed chat rooms
Always free
What are you waiting for, view the beta site now >>

You were sent this email because you're subscribed to receive ChessCube Newsletters. ChessCube will never rent or sell your email address. View our Privacy Policy

Change E-mail Preferences to control what e-mail you get from ChessCube. | Unsubscribe from all ChessCube emails.

ChessCube.com | PO Box 1696 Milnerton 7441 South Africa
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 pm

I tried to have a look at the beta site, but got beaten back by having to face a Flash upgrade, so will save it for later. I've used the existing Chess Cube a bit and my son prefers the interface to other sites, but there are a lot of connection and speed issues, as well as a simple lack of numbers on chess cube leading to lengthy searches for a game at times. Following a mention on another thread I'm now trialling ICC which is looking quite good so far although the Blitzin software (the only one you can use for a trial) and command line prompts make me feel like I've stepped back at least a decade in computing terms.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 am

The dasher interface on ICC is good (I actually prefer Blitzin as it's so configurable).

For me: Playchess has moderators which are a bit OTT and I feel there is less of a sense of community on there; I really like the community on ICC in channel 67 (British Channel). Ben Purton is correct that one should steer away from certain ICC channels (e.g. politics channel) where discussion gets rather heated.

FICS is another option and the Babaschess interface is superb

I said when CHesscub was launched that it might be an excellent product but chess servers are oligopolies. You need critical mass for a server to work. Everyone who uses chesscube seems to like it though

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 pm

I've just started playing blitz on chesscube, and i can say that despite having the occasional glitch, it does look beautiful. The graphical interface is wonderful

John Upham

Latest Newsletter

Post by John Upham » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Our shop is stocked to the brim with the most exciting chess videos aimed at helping you improve your chess - and of course your ChessCube rating.

We now have over 100 titles priced from as low as $4.95, including the world renowned Foxy Series as well as our very own Andrew Martin series available exclusively from ChessCube.com .

All videos available at the store are fully interactive and use our award-winning ChessCube Cinema software - available for free download.

FOXY VIDEO EXTRAVAGANZA
The Foxy Videos remain worldwide best-sellers and continue to delight the chess world.

Whether you want to improve your game, or learn more about chess theory, Foxy Videos are an excellent series for you.

Purchase the digital format from ChessCube.com and save 33% off the normal sales price elsewhere.

View the Foxy Videos »

IM ANDREW MARTIN VIDEOS
ChessCube.com is proud to present a series of interactive videos by International Master Andrew Martin.

The Andrew Martin series includes a weekly round-up of the news and views in chess, his Solid Repertoire series and the must-have series of Shock Weapons - all exclusive to ChessCube.com

View the Andrew Martin Series »

Happy Chess Playing,

The ChessCube.com Team

You were sent this email because you're subscribed to receive ChessCube Newsletters. ChessCube will never rent or sell your email address. View our Privacy Policy

Change E-mail Preferences to control what e-mail you get from ChessCube. | Unsubscribe from all ChessCube emails.

ChessCube.com | PO Box 1696 Milnerton 7441 South Africa
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 pm

I am on chess cube (I actually joined after seeing the link on these vary forums, ironically enough) and anyone wanting to find and play me can do so by looking for the T_Chex, I usually have TyrannosaurusCHEX but it was too long for chesscube and this has been my only real criticism of the site other then some of the dodgy text talk messages which appear from time to time.

So anyway, anyone looking for me I am always up for a game but I do not tolerate cheating of any kind (this includes giving my opponent too much thinking time) so be ready for some high speed games...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.