Variety of Chess Books

Provide a description and system requirements and/or condition etc.
John Upham

Variety of Chess Books

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:45 am

I'm rationalising a large surplus of chess books.

See https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jeupham/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

My eBay username is "jeupham"

Many more to be listed... :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tim Spanton

Re: Variety of Chess Books

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 am

There are some very interesting books listed

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:32 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 am
There are some very interesting books listed
I hope so.

I'm kicking off with mainly opening books and will add more titles next week.

If anyone has "wants" then let me know as they may well not be listed... :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:00 pm

Not getting involved (and opening books are of no interest whatsoever), but some of the chess history books are tempting. It is interesting that World Championship Interzonals has had 8 bids (though can't tell if that is just two people battling over it). The Korchnoi book has had 11 bids. And Positional Masterpieces of 2012-2015 by Naiditsch and Balogh has had 15 bids and is up to £10.50! :shock: (Unless that is its initial pricing?) Bit sad that The Potter Memorial by Ken Messere has had no bids even at £0.99. Hmm. A Batsford Chess Yearbook is there too... Auctions are fun to watch. :twisted: (Though how do you get to see the actual results of online ones? That is half the fun.)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:44 pm

The positional masterpieces book is really rather excellent and the bids do not surprise me.

The Potter Memorial was printed in huge numbers by BHW and he had many remainders. Similar was the printing of The Tactical Grob.

More titles will appear in the next few days.

Opening books first with a few other chucked in.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:00 pm
Not getting involved (and opening books are of no interest whatsoever), but some of the chess history books are tempting. It is interesting that World Championship Interzonals has had 8 bids (though can't tell if that is just two people battling over it). The Korchnoi book has had 11 bids. And Positional Masterpieces of 2012-2015 by Naiditsch and Balogh has had 15 bids and is up to £10.50! :shock: (Unless that is its initial pricing?) Bit sad that The Potter Memorial by Ken Messere has had no bids even at £0.99. Hmm. A Batsford Chess Yearbook is there too... Auctions are fun to watch. :twisted: (Though how do you get to see the actual results of online ones? That is half the fun.)
Chris - if you go into a specific item on EBay and click where it shows number of bids (8 in the case of the Interzonals book), you will see that there are 4 bidders involved. You can also see the amounts of each bid so you can see that Naiditsch and Balogh (a great book from a great series) started at £0.99. Finally, if you click on Watch This Item, you will be able to see the final outcome of an auction.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:17 pm

I also remember BHW producing a tome about the offbeat Caro Kann line with an early Qf3 for White, plus a few originally Soviet efforts.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:17 pm
I also remember BHW producing a tome about the offbeat Caro Kann line with an early Qf3 for White, plus a few originally Soviet efforts.
That was probably on the Warren H.Goldman Variation

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Rather than just looking at John's books I started looking at "chess books" on ebay and scrolled through 500+ before realising:

1. None of John's opening books appeared in the 1st 500 (that I detected);

2. Many books are overpriced - you can easily buy the same book much cheaper by doing a search on abebooks (for example);

3. A lot of the books are just dross.

In short: ebay doesn't seem to be a good place to browse and buy a good chess book unless you have an enormous amount of patience!

Richard Thursby

Post by Richard Thursby » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 pm

Not sure about the categorisation of some of these books; we have books on the Spanish and the Sicilian listed under "Language Courses".

When trying to navigate to non-fiction books with a topic of "Chess" you only find 43 results, including some copies of the BCF grading list from around the turn of the millennium.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 am

John Moore wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 pm
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:00 pm
Chris - if you go into a specific item on EBay and click where it shows number of bids (8 in the case of the Interzonals book), you will see that there are 4 bidders involved. You can also see the amounts of each bid so you can see that Naiditsch and Balogh (a great book from a great series) started at £0.99. Finally, if you click on Watch This Item, you will be able to see the final outcome of an auction.
I think I missed the final hammer price of the Naiditsch and Balogh book. It appears to have gone, so presumably the auction has ended for that one. I failed to click 'Watch This Item' (thanks, John, for the advice), so can anyone tell me what it went for in the end?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 am

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 am
I think I missed the final hammer price of the Naiditsch and Balogh book. It appears to have gone, so presumably the auction has ended for that one. I failed to click 'Watch This Item' (thanks, John, for the advice), so can anyone tell me what it went for in the end?
It went for £12. There was a bidding war for Chess is My Life which I sold since I have the Batsford hardback.

You can always search on eBay for final prices of sold items using the Advanced Search options.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 pm

There are some excellent books on the list John.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:10 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 pm
Added another 20 today.

I'm guessing I will add 20 a day for next few weeks!

John

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:15 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:10 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 pm
Added another 20 today.

I'm guessing I will add 20 a day for next few weeks!

John
Crikey. How many books do you have?
By the way a friend in a different part of the country has recently brought out a chess book. Just wandering if you could do a review if possible please.