Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10560
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
Over the last couple of months, to keep my eye in, I've been doing the daily tactics puzzles (not to be confused with the "daily puzzle") on Chess.com. You can do five a day without being a paying member (and presumably rather more if you join).
Anyway I do them both on my Smartphone, using the Chess.com app, and on a laptop, using their website. And I get the curious impression that if I use the laptop, the number of points I get awarded for getting a puzzle right is greater than if I am using my smartphone. On the app, I often get just a single point for the correct answer: on the laptop, rarely or never.
Not that it matters how many points you get, But it's odd nonetheless. Has anybody else had this experience?
Anyway I do them both on my Smartphone, using the Chess.com app, and on a laptop, using their website. And I get the curious impression that if I use the laptop, the number of points I get awarded for getting a puzzle right is greater than if I am using my smartphone. On the app, I often get just a single point for the correct answer: on the laptop, rarely or never.
Not that it matters how many points you get, But it's odd nonetheless. Has anybody else had this experience?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
- Joey Stewart
- Posts: 2173
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
- Location: All Of Them
- Contact:
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
It wouldn't surprise me at all, chess sites are relatively late to the world of smartphones and many of their "apps" leave much to be desired.
I havent played on chess.com for a while now - last time I was there the ratings had gone all crazy (presumably to keep better in line with real fide ones)
I havent played on chess.com for a while now - last time I was there the ratings had gone all crazy (presumably to keep better in line with real fide ones)
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4411
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
I'm not sure its just related to chess.com. The daily puzzles on chess24.com and their supposed rating values are bizarre to say the least as there appears to be little correlation between the value attached to them and their difficulty.
Perhaps someone could suggest a good place to go for daily puzzles?
Perhaps someone could suggest a good place to go for daily puzzles?
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
MJMcCready wrote:
Perhaps someone could suggest a good place to go for daily puzzles?
Three months supply here:
http://www.standard.co.uk/staticpage/ch ... 39236.html
- Dave Ewart
- Posts: 80
- Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm
- Location: Oxford, UK
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
The chess.com puzzle ratings are not _set_ anywhere, they drift up and down (in the same way as players grades) based on how well and how quickly people solve them. Don't know the exact means of calculation.
I use chess.com on PC and smartphone: I *think* I've seen a similar thing to you too, for what it's worth! Always possible that I solve them more quickly when I see a big screen, though, I suppose.
I use chess.com on PC and smartphone: I *think* I've seen a similar thing to you too, for what it's worth! Always possible that I solve them more quickly when I see a big screen, though, I suppose.
-
Paul Dargan
- Posts: 526
- Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
Or it might be a latency issue doing it over 3G rather than a home broadband connection ... you may get 'charged' for time from when it thinks it sent you the position to when it receives the answer ... this could be different from when you see the position and move the pieces
Paul
Paul
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10560
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Tactics puzzles on Chess.com
Mmmm, maybe, but I don't notice any difference using my smartphone away from home on 3G or at home on our WiFi.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."