Post Brexit Openings

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Burrows

Re: Post Brexit Openings

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I presume the prize fund at The British will double, perhaps quadruple, once we leave.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 pm

I don't play the Berlin Defence, but that is for aesthetic reasons. If I did, and if the UK were ever to leave the EU, I would not feel bound to give it up.

In an equivalent position, I don't suppose that Indian players felt in 1947 that they had to stop using the London System.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 am

When are you gonna exit EU, and how does it affect bank transfers?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm
I presume the prize fund at The British will double, perhaps quadruple, once we leave.
The British championship?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:38 am

a) When are you gonna exit EU?

No one knows, certainly not the current UK government. Possibly never.

b) How does it affect bank transfers?

It will depend on the nature of the exit, and the agreements reached, if any. The Brexit ayatollahs prefer a revolution, with no continuation of previous practice, even if that means that everyone starves. Better to remain true to their one true religion. All unbelievers should be forced to wear yellow stars, beaten, castrated, hanged and quartered. Lenient judges and prison warders will be permitted to allow a few desperate Remainers to leave into exile in exchange for sexual favours or large cash bribes.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:55 am

(a) I'm staying in London.

I suspect Brexit in 2 years time. I think 29th March 2019 is unachievable. A democratic decision has been made and the PM at the time has resigned. There were a lot of Londoners in the remain camp.

(b) For me not at all.

Foreign bank transfers up to Foreigners.

My tax return shows the % of tax spent by the government on certain areas - and UK payments to the EU is the lowest (less than 1%).

Not sure the reason for some of your inflammatory phrases Paul. On a Sunday morning too.
It does influence my decision when parents contact me about recommending a junior chess club in our area.

I do not think I'll have to change my openings. There are plenty of systems from around the world and a lot of change.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:21 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 am
When are you gonna exit EU, and how does it affect bank transfers?
1. 29th March 2019

2. Not at all, to the best of my knowledge. We won't be leaving the Eurozone, for the good reason that we aren't in it anyway.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 am

Surely, The From Gambit, will be a more resonant name?

There is, of course, an English Defence as well as an English Opening.
There is no opening named after Britain.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Not sure the reason for some of your inflammatory phrases Paul. On a Sunday morning too.
It does influence my decision when parents contact me about recommending a junior chess club in our area.
Oh, well done there. The Brexit paranoiacs even administer their punishment beatings to children, now.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:39 pm

That's harsh Paul and really offensive, especially for someone promoting junior chess.
Quote of the day: Arguing with someone on social media is like debating with an obscenity scrawled on a toilet wall.
Fortunately the places where we play chess, eat and drink that are not like that any more.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Your meaning was clear and shameful.

However it is not a surprise as the dwindling cast of Brexit supporters in politics and the media cast around for internal and eternal enemies to scapegoat for the inevitable failure that they face over the coming few years in delivering any of their varied castles in the air, and the smoking ruins they will leave of a previously flourishing national economy, should they carry through any of their more ludicrous plans.

Happily, we take children at Richmond without regard to their backgrounds. Our success in the past four and half years stands on its own record, with growth from a termly membership in the mid-teens to its now present hundred plus, and national team championships secured in the past year at U11 and U12, with a third place at U9, and a wide and growing range of tournaments and events hosted, supported and ran.

Whether some curmudgeonly elderly club secretary or the like chooses to withhold support from a successful local club for children and youth, out of political spite, is entirely his affair, and deserves no further comment.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Nothing political about it at all.
Your postings in relation to someone working in children and children's services are not the views that ought to be posted.
I find it odd in relation to the works of the previous organisers of Richmond Junior Chess Club.
If I espoused such views inside or outside of work my employer's would discipline me, and likely to find myself barred from working with children.

Let's keep it to chess.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Your views are noted and may be passed on for comment at your club's next AGM.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Fine.
Read your club safeguarding and anti-bullying policies again. And you may realise why I find that you are acting offensively.
No one else on the RJCC team acts like that.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Well, as the internet saying goes - THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY :shock:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)