The ongoing COVID-19 situation (split from Chess Life Returning to Normal)

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

The ongoing COVID-19 situation (split from Chess Life Returning to Normal)

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:11 pm
All very annoying for those of us in London, where the virus is now harder to find than baking powder.
J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:52 pm
London's not really at normal daytime population levels though is it? It would likely return once the tourists and commuters return. Its not just about you, you know.
I get the ihe impression a return to anything like 'normal' cannot come soon enough for some.

As for it not all being about a 'you' - various examples of me-and-mine amongst the politicians and their advisors (including scientific ones) have given the game away.

How far is it reasonable for someone to travel from London for baking powder, I wonder.

(In a radio news report a couple of people who travelled about 60 miles from Glasgow to the mountains, and subsequently had to be rescued, were told it was only permissable to travel 5 miles for leisure activities in Scotland.)

[Edited and reported since -

Sloppy editing made it look as though I took the thread off topic thereby necessitating a split. I've therefore edited my post to show the thread was already departing from (Chess) Life Returning to Normal in the sense that there was nothing explucitly about chess itself in those posts.

Then again the original thread title is (Chess) Life Returning to Normal and NOT ...Chess Life Returning to Normal, which is what it has been changed to in this split off thread so I think you are splitting hairs here anyway.]
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mick Norris

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:32 pm

I've not seen any baking powder stats, but the virus stats are available from Zoe

I should add that both baking powder and the virus seem freely available in the north-west :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm afraid there is no chance of life returning to normal in the North of England.
The infection rate is highest in the North East.
According to the Manchester Evening News, there are 18 areas in England where the peak of the first wave has not been reached.
These include Preston, Carlisle and my local area Wyre. The R rate in Blackpool currently is 1.63. Blackpool beach was crowded at the weekend.
In bargain food retailers, social distancing is non existent. Too many customers are allowed in. Staff are not given PPE. These places run a tight ship, which is why food is so cheap there. Profits come first.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Lockdown is being lifted too quickly. Expect a second wave.
I have no intention of playing any OTB chess for the forseeable future.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:48 pm

I think the relaxation of lock-down has to start somewhere if only to help the vulnerable in the broadest sense of the term. But the vulnerable are not well served by the behaviour of those marking the release by general loutishness. This is personally very frustrating because my normal weekend would involve a walk utilising public transport or starting from the station behind the house and much loved of those using Time Out Walk Guides. Sometime my non driving friend and I would invite a third person with a car to act as driver and/or join us. People with cars can rampage around National Parks, three single people can't enjoy a responsible stroll around the Chilterns. I say this not because I expect sympathy, but to remind people to keep an eye out for single friends. Yes we could trust our instincts and go for a walk, but like many others who would benefit from the social interaction, I guess those are often precisely the people less keen to 'break rules'. Given the recklessness of others and the unreliability of the advice from politicians I won't be rushing to go out.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 pm

With 2m rule. 13 to a train or tube carriage. Walk locally. No cars means more air in my 3 mile circle.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Nick

The post was simply illustrative so I don't want to discuss it in detail, but the people I want to walk with live six miles away, so the walk requires transport to happen. Its a small issue in the wider scheme of things - access to relatives in care homes is still restricted. But I hope it is a reminder that there are still single people who are not yet helped by the relaxation of lockdown and may need some social contact.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:22 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:07 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:48 am
When do you press the clock?
I don't see why pressing it would be a problem if it's between the two players. Both players being able to see it at the same time would be impossible with a normal digital clock though.

SNIP
The clock paradox could be solved -

"18/11/2012 · The Hicks non-reversing mirror is different- it is one single, smooth curved piece of glass which shows a non-reversed image..."

https://techfragments.com/inventions-no ... se-mirror/

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:54 pm
I'm afraid there is no chance of life returning to normal in the North of England.
That's quite a bold statement; I suspect it will return to normal sometime, when is another question

Lockdown was never going to last it was just unaffordable economically

If we do get a second wave, then it is likely joe public (or small businesses) will have to fend for themselves since I suspect there will be minimal government support like we see at present; so people will likely not follow lockdown as well as currently happening

We have to start having that difficult discussion is it economically worthwhile trying to save/protect a small % against the general well being of the masses

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:46 pm

I'd rather save lives if we can.
The problem was lockdown came too late. Not enough PPE initially and testing was abandoned.
We also had major mass gatherings of Cheltenham Races and the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid football match.
The government started with herd immunity. If we abandon lockdown and social distancing to put the economy first the deaths could be in the hundreds of thousands with the health service overwhelmed.
Government official figures are 40,000 the ONS said many more.
Bolsinaros Brazil especially tried that policy of putting the economy first and now they are paying for it. Their number of deaths will overtake ours. I remember him calling the virus as a "little flu" and now the health system is overwhelmed.
Then you have Trump and Putin. Putting the economy first before the health of people. Enough said.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 pm

What can also be seen in the UK response is a typically unjustified and delusional British exceptionalism.

Sweden - poster boy for the anti-lockdown people - doesn't seem to be doing too great either.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:46 pm
I'd rather save lives if we can.
The problem was lockdown came too late. Not enough PPE initially and testing was abandoned.
We also had major mass gatherings of Cheltenham Races and the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid football match.
The government started with herd immunity. If we abandon lockdown and social distancing to put the economy first the deaths could be in the hundreds of thousands with the health service overwhelmed.
Government official figures are 40,000 the ONS said many more.
Bolsinaros Brazil especially tried that policy of putting the economy first and now they are paying for it. Their number of deaths will overtake ours. I remember him calling the virus as a "little flu" and now the health system is overwhelmed.
Then you have Trump and Putin. Putting the economy first before the health of people. Enough said.
The past is the past and cannot do anything about that, it is about looking forward

It is simple really, lockdown = redundancies = lower tax returns = higher spending on universal credit = lower spending on health

Its a catch 22 situation, the current position is unsustainable for the long-term, hence furloughing having a phased finishing by October and likely not to be restarted in a second wave; perhaps people have to prepare for realizing that any cure (lockdowns) are worse than what the disease is doing

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Is it that simple? dead people don't work, don't pay taxes, don't need universal credit. It is a balancing act (not trade-off)but you could add review other areas of expenditure (HS2/ Trident replacement) and reform the tax system, before cutting health. And although people may still strive for high living standards, they may sense a bigger picture and the need for a different sort of life.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Not necessarily so as regards to lower spending on health.
Even the government understands that reducing spending on health would be unpalatable by the British public and are planning to increase.
How
Increasing taxes like fuel duty and National Insurance, Income Tax and other green taxes.
Road tax will go up and possibly a new windfall tax.
Like after World War 2, the government is planning to accept a very high debt and pay it off gradually over a number of decades.
The government is still increasing transport infrastructure for example
1. HS2 £100 billion
2. The dualling of the A66 across the pennines.
3. A303 Stonehenge road tunnel
4. Lower Thames Crossing
Never mind Crossrail 2 on the way.
Johnson has said he doesn't like the word austerity.
The Dispatches programme on Channel 4 9pm last night and explained where the government went wrong.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:24 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:09 pm
perhaps people have to prepare for realizing that any cure (lockdowns) are worse than what the disease is doing
To those not dominated by political considerations, that has been obvious for a long time.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.