Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
-
Andy Stoker
- Posts: 348
- Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm
Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
(My apologies if this has already been covered - I could not find it through searches)
We are looking to perk up our club nights - prior to March 2020, we just played matches in one room and rather random friendly games in another. Since we re-opened a few weeks ago, some of our more senior players have stayed away but we do have a modest influx of less experienced players - some near-beginners. Based on feedback, we are looking to structure the evening more and provide activities which are of more interest. Looking for ideas - what we have thought about so far are:
# Teaching - can anyone recommend a source of material?
# Talks - eg one of Chernev's most instructive games
# Ladder Tournament
# Handicap Tournament (Clock? Material? Anyone have experience of appropriate handicapping?)
# Puzzles (eg "Find the Next move" ... player borrows a set and reports when s/he has found the moves, gets a score and qualifies for the next set)
# Open annotations - two more experienced players talk through a game they are playing, commenting on their thoughts for each more
What have you found works well?
We are looking to perk up our club nights - prior to March 2020, we just played matches in one room and rather random friendly games in another. Since we re-opened a few weeks ago, some of our more senior players have stayed away but we do have a modest influx of less experienced players - some near-beginners. Based on feedback, we are looking to structure the evening more and provide activities which are of more interest. Looking for ideas - what we have thought about so far are:
# Teaching - can anyone recommend a source of material?
# Talks - eg one of Chernev's most instructive games
# Ladder Tournament
# Handicap Tournament (Clock? Material? Anyone have experience of appropriate handicapping?)
# Puzzles (eg "Find the Next move" ... player borrows a set and reports when s/he has found the moves, gets a score and qualifies for the next set)
# Open annotations - two more experienced players talk through a game they are playing, commenting on their thoughts for each more
What have you found works well?
- Michael Farthing
- Posts: 2069
- Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
- Location: Morecambe, Europe
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
Our tiny club is blessed with a tame FM who unstintingly goes through the game any member has played that evening (or in a recent match ..or fifteen years ago). It's done in the bar area and as well as the player(s) other club members join in. Obviously not all clubs would be lucky enough to have a tame FM, but the general idea is very welcoming for a new player.Andy Stoker wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am(My apologies if this has already been covered - I could not find it through searches)
We are looking to perk up our club nights - prior to March 2020, we just played matches in one room and rather random friendly games in another. Since we re-opened a few weeks ago, some of our more senior players have stayed away but we do have a modest influx of less experienced players - some near-beginners. Based on feedback, we are looking to structure the evening more and provide activities which are of more interest. Looking for ideas - what we have thought about so far are:
# Teaching - can anyone recommend a source of material?
# Talks - eg one of Chernev's most instructive games
# Ladder Tournament
# Handicap Tournament (Clock? Material? Anyone have experience of appropriate handicapping?)
# Puzzles (eg "Find the Next move" ... player borrows a set and reports when s/he has found the moves, gets a score and qualifies for the next set)
# Open annotations - two more experienced players talk through a game they are playing, commenting on their thoughts for each more
What have you found works well?
At the meeting nearest to Christmas we have a handicap 10 minute game tournament. The handicap is a time one based on the ability range (somewhat arbitrarily decided by the compere) and results in all games lasting 10 minutes with, for example, our FM (strength 9) and our weakest player (strength 1) having a skill difference of 8 so that the weaker player has nine minutes and the FM the remaining 1 a difference of 8 minutes.
Depending on numbers this is either a Swiss or an all-play-all. The all-play-all may seem a daunting thing to attempt on the night, but we have a simple trick. Boards are arranged on a (notional) single table and after each round players move one place to the left. Those falling off one of the ends have a bye and then start coming back on the other side of the table. This only works with an odd number of players and luckily we have not been faced with an all-play-all with an even number. However, I think this can be fixed by omitting the player due the bye and instead nominating an arbitrary player (say Tame FM) to stay fixed in the same seat throughout with every other player moving one place to the left, but two places if otherwise they would bump into Tame FM.
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4284
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
I suspect that's easily enough for the FM to win. Crowthorne does something similar at Christmas, with 15 minutes in total and the maximum difference being 14:30 minutes vs. 30 seconds (or it might be 14:40 minutes vs. 20 seconds; I can't remember). You can be pretty sure the stronger player will get a winning position, but it's 50:50 whether they can mate before their time runs out.Michael Farthing wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:40 amAt the meeting nearest to Christmas we have a handicap 10 minute game tournament. The handicap is a time one based on the ability range (somewhat arbitrarily decided by the compere) and results in all games lasting 10 minutes with, for example, our FM (strength 9) and our weakest player (strength 1) having a skill difference of 8 so that the weaker player has nine minutes and the FM the remaining 1 a difference of 8 minutes.
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8764
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
I had a severe test of my poker face when playing an internal club handicap tournament with 2 minutes v 28 minutes and blundering to leave mate in 2 on. After squirming in my seat for what seemed like an eternity he played a different move and I was able to escape.Ian Thompson wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 pmI suspect that's easily enough for the FM to win. Crowthorne does something similar at Christmas, with 15 minutes in total and the maximum difference being 14:30 minutes vs. 30 seconds (or it might be 14:40 minutes vs. 20 seconds; I can't remember). You can be pretty sure the stronger player will get a winning position, but it's 50:50 whether they can mate before their time runs out.Michael Farthing wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:40 amAt the meeting nearest to Christmas we have a handicap 10 minute game tournament. The handicap is a time one based on the ability range (somewhat arbitrarily decided by the compere) and results in all games lasting 10 minutes with, for example, our FM (strength 9) and our weakest player (strength 1) having a skill difference of 8 so that the weaker player has nine minutes and the FM the remaining 1 a difference of 8 minutes.
-
Graham Borrowdale
- Posts: 426
- Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:54 pm
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
2 minutes v 28 minutes sounds cruel! I think I have played 1 minute v 9 minutes in a similar tournament, with the 8 minute handicap determined by an 80+ point (old) ECF grading difference. Anything less than 1 minute is unplayable for most people, especially OTB.LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pm
I had a severe test of my poker face when playing an internal club handicap tournament with 2 minutes v 28 minutes and blundering to leave mate in 2 on. After squirming in my seat for what seemed like an eternity he played a different move and I was able to escape.
But to go back to the question, these and similar tournaments can be good for club nights, as a way to get players at all levels involved.
- Joey Stewart
- Posts: 2173
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
- Location: All Of Them
- Contact:
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:49 pmI suspect that's easily enough for the FM to win. Crowthorne does something similar at Christmas, with 15 minutes in total and the maximum difference being 14:30 minutes vs. 30 seconds (or it might be 14:40 minutes vs. 20 seconds; I can't remember). You can be pretty sure the stronger player will get a winning position, but it's 50:50 whether they can mate before their time runs out.Michael Farthing wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:40 amAt the meeting nearest to Christmas we have a handicap 10 minute game tournament. The handicap is a time one based on the ability range (somewhat arbitrarily decided by the compere) and results in all games lasting 10 minutes with, for example, our FM (strength 9) and our weakest player (strength 1) having a skill difference of 8 so that the weaker player has nine minutes and the FM the remaining 1 a difference of 8 minutes.
I don't think it would be an easy win at all over the board with such savage handicaps - it takes most players far more then a second to play each move so unless they have a vast repatoire of opening traps they will be losing more or less every game on time regardless of skill difference.
But I do agree as a general rule, clubs that are most attractive to new members are ones that don't prioritise match play above all else as it allows for a more welcoming atmosphere.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6663
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
We were lucky at Redhill that we had one player who made it his priority to find games for new members, and if he ended up playing them, he gave them a chance! He knew a lot about the club players, so he could find suitable opposition. Somebody else suggested a handicap rapidplay, which was agreed. We left the details to him and it meant I got 3 minutes against somebody else's 57 minutes, which was not appealing. He couldn't understand why the top players avoided playing, although we did if challenged. Bizarrely, I actually won one game on time.
So if you can find a greeter and get people to talk to new members et., it does help. Make sure they get a cup of tea, and if you go to the pub afterwards invite them.
So if you can find a greeter and get people to talk to new members et., it does help. Make sure they get a cup of tea, and if you go to the pub afterwards invite them.
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5178
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
Heh, yes, I've won games on time before at Barnstaple's handicap blitzes when I started with 2 minutes and my opponent with 18.
-
Ken McNulty
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 9:17 pm
- Contact:
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
Yes, I remember that well Lawrence. It was an unusual circumstance that resulted in the highest and lowest graded players in our club being drawn together. I'm sorry to say, but I think most spectators we're rather hoping Dave Stuart would see the mate!LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pmI had a severe test of my poker face when playing an internal club handicap tournament with 2 minutes v 28 minutes and blundering to leave mate in 2 on. After squirming in my seat for what seemed like an eternity he played a different move and I was able to escape.
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8764
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
Understandably soKen McNulty wrote: ↑Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:43 pmYes, I remember that well Lawrence. It was an unusual circumstance that resulted in the highest and lowest graded players in our club being drawn together. I'm sorry to say, but I think most spectators we're rather hoping Dave Stuart would see the mate!LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:29 pmI had a severe test of my poker face when playing an internal club handicap tournament with 2 minutes v 28 minutes and blundering to leave mate in 2 on. After squirming in my seat for what seemed like an eternity he played a different move and I was able to escape.![]()
- Stephen Westmoreland
- Posts: 567
- Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:55 pm
- Location: Holmfirth
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
What about streaming games? Our recent match vs Ilkley Chess Centre had a lot of interest in club members not playing and our Whatsapp group picked up considerably. Sadly with boards it is not cheap, unless anyone knows of an alternative?
Yorkshire, HDCA & Holmfirth
- Joey Stewart
- Posts: 2173
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
- Location: All Of Them
- Contact:
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
I think it is possible to set up a mobile phone camera pointing at the board and stream the game that way (just remember to turn the sound off...) but it could be a double edged sword as, while it creates some interesting content for potential new members it also makes it easier for people to stay at home watching and never come to the club at all.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.
-
Andrew Zigmond
- Posts: 2137
- Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
- Location: Harrogate
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
It was the return of the club championship at my club last night and, unfortunately, also back to "shhh" and "quiet please" every time voices on the other side of the room rose above a whisper. I have to admit that I'm guilty of it myself but only because as Chairman I feel an obligation to get a grip before the tension escalates.
I've decided that this is going on the agenda at the next AGM (which won't be until September 2022) and is getting sorted for once and for all. My plan is to try and negotiate a room elsewhere that anybody wanting perfect silence can use, or else they accept that there will be some background noise (or possibly move social games elsewhere for the evening).
I've decided that this is going on the agenda at the next AGM (which won't be until September 2022) and is getting sorted for once and for all. My plan is to try and negotiate a room elsewhere that anybody wanting perfect silence can use, or else they accept that there will be some background noise (or possibly move social games elsewhere for the evening).
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own
-
Paul Cooksey
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
IN all seriousness, I think this is where we are trying to assess the usefulness of the Development Officers.
Andrew - if one was available, lets assume Tim Wall or someone with his skill set, would it help you?
Andrew - if one was available, lets assume Tim Wall or someone with his skill set, would it help you?
-
Andrew Zigmond
- Posts: 2137
- Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm
- Location: Harrogate
Re: Making (Chess) Club night more attractive
A good question. The main opportunity I see locally is that we could do with more frequent social nights at town centre bars and an afternoon club aimed at players who aren't keen on going out at night, particularly during the winter months. The blocker locally is getting these things up and running - I can't be everywhere at once.Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:25 pmIN all seriousness, I think this is where we are trying to assess the usefulness of the Development Officers.
Andrew - if one was available, lets assume Tim Wall or someone with his skill set, would it help you?
So for me a development officer wouldn't make that much difference.* However that's because I do have contacts in the wider chess community, an equipment cupboard I can raid where need be and other resources I can access if need be. However if I was completely new to chess a development officer could support by facilitating those things.
* I made this particular statement on the assumption that I'm generally going about things the right way. However I'm not so arrogant to claim that I am - so a development officer could also assess what I'm doing locally and set me on the right path.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own