chessbase upgrade

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Bob Kane

chessbase upgrade

Post by Bob Kane » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm

Hello, I have chessbase 15 but suddenly its telling me , without any warning that access to its online database has expired . This is annoying but I understand a subscription may be required, but what I am really not happy about is that this message also appears when i use the "novelty" search feature . This is a major and fundamental feature of the product which has now been removed .
what will they remove next?
Any thoughts ?

Joey Stewart

Re: chessbase upgrade

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Well if they are following the format of most other online media companies I would imagine it will go something like this: first they will first of all make it so you can't use it offline, then make it so you have to watch an Ad every time you look at a new game, then sell an extra premium subscription to block the ads, then say they are going to put ads on regardless of the subscription package, then change the frequency the ads from once a game to once a move, then probably get rid of all that "chess stuff" taking up server space to leave more room for extra ads
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm

Bob Kane wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm
Hello, I have chessbase 15 but suddenly its telling me , without any warning that access to its online database has expired . This is annoying but I understand a subscription may be required, but what I am really not happy about is that this message also appears when i use the "novelty" search feature . This is a major and fundamental feature of the product which has now been removed .
Any thoughts ?
Bob,

Using Chessbase 17 I can access the Tactics and Novelties live databases via the following:

Click View from the top row of tabs

Select the submit type button for "Folders"

and then select the "Live" folder

You should see something akin to:

untitled.jpg

Hope that helps.

I can see that regardless of being logged in or not to my ChessBase account.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

Bob Kane wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm
Any thoughts ?
I have Chessbase 14 and have suddenly received exactly the same message. I have a Chessbase subscription and would welcome any advice.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 am

This begs the question "what have you bought when you purchase ChessBase software"? As far as I'm aware ChessBase has never published a licence agreement for its software so it'll be determined by consumer laws in the country of purchase.

I note that ChessBase 17, purchased now, only comes with online database access until the end of 2026, so not very long at all.