First chess books for Kids

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Kevin Wilson
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:26 am

First chess books for Kids

Post by Kevin Wilson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:41 am

Hi,

We have a small chess library bequeathed to us at our club containing a decent selection of chess books.
I have started a junior chess club (http://darlingtonchessclub.blogspot.com/) and was thinking I could add to our club library with some books for improving juniors.

For kids or any other beginner I would recommend 3 books
1, Chess Openings By Mike Basman
2, Logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev
3, Silman's complete endgame course by Jeremy Silman

Does anyone else have any recommendations for improving kids or beginners?

Kevin

Andrew Camp
Posts: 508
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Colwyn Bay

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Andrew Camp » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:09 am

The classic 'How to beat your dad at chess' should be in every library as well as Tim Onions' 'Ten ways to beat...' series.

I often write my own little booklets for my juniors which I either sell at cost for the school or email for free.

In coaching, it is really worth showing some of the videos from www.thechesswebsite.com as they are lovely little introductions.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]

Richard Thursby
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: origin + pathname + search + hash

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Richard Thursby » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:33 am

In a piece of shameless advertising for another member of my club (and English Chess Forum member), I suggest the recently published "Chess For Kids: How to Play and Win" by Richard James, available here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chess-Kids-How- ... 090&sr=1-3

PeterTurland
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm
Location: Leicester
Contact:

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by PeterTurland » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58 am

Not a book I know, but I think a very useful teaching resource, basically a site that starts by giving many one move mate puzzles, then moves on to two move puzzles.

http://mateinone.com

Kevin Wilson
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:26 am

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Kevin Wilson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:00 pm

Andrew Camp wrote:The classic 'How to beat your dad at chess' should be in every library as well as Tim Onions' 'Ten ways to beat...' series.

I often write my own little booklets for my juniors which I either sell at cost for the school or email for free.

In coaching, it is really worth showing some of the videos from http://www.thechesswebsite.com as they are lovely little introductions.
"How to beat your Dad" yes definitely one to add. I liked "thechesswebsite" link, added to my favourites.

I am adding each lesson I do with the kids to the Darlington Chess Club blog (Copied at the start of the thread) so A, the kids can look back if they want a refresh and B, to allow other prospective members the chance to see what we are doing.

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:44 pm

Kevin Wilson wrote:Hi,

We have a small chess library bequeathed to us at our club containing a decent selection of chess books.
I have started a junior chess club (http://darlingtonchessclub.blogspot.com/) and was thinking I could add to our club library with some books for improving juniors.

For kids or any other beginner I would recommend 3 books
1, Chess Openings By Mike Basman
2, Logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev
3, Silman's complete endgame course by Jeremy Silman

Does anyone else have any recommendations for improving kids or beginners?
These are books for adults. For children, Chandler's "How to Beat Your Dad at Chess," Gillam's "Simple Checkmates," and Ivashchenko's "Manual of Chess Combinations" (only vols 1a and 1b) might be more appropriate.

Michele Clack
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:38 pm
Location: Worcestershire

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:08 pm

The Richard James book looks excellent. I've ordered a copy to help with the 6-9 school club I run. I've got several complete beginners this term.

Other books I use are the Onions books and for mate studies I like "202 Checkmates for Children" by Fred Wilson and Bruce Albertson. Some of them like to play through a few mate puzzles from this book in between games sometimes. It's handy if someone is partnerless for a bit waiting for another game to finish.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Does anybody else remember Black King White King?


I must have got that out of my local library a gazillion times. Not suitable for kids now because it's all in descriptive but - long story short - it introduces children to chess by telling a story of how each piece came to move like it does and how two kings got into a row over who owned a piece of land - The Board - that sat between their two kingdoms.

Kevin Wilson
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:26 am

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Kevin Wilson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the feed back I have emailed Tim Onions to try and buy his books.

If anyone else has ideas for kids post them.

What about first books for beginning adults?

The first chess book I purchased was "The Sicilian labyrinth" by Lyev Pougayevsky I think I was so pleased to find a chess book I bought it. It was so unsuitable for me at that time, I did try and read it but I'm sure took none of it. Probably the hardest thing as a beginner is buying the right books pitched at your level.

Kevin

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Arshad Ali » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Kevin Wilson wrote:What about first books for beginning adults?
There are some recommendations here:

http://arshadschesssite.yolasite.com/

HLang
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 am

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by HLang » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:28 pm

"Play Better Chess" by Leonard Barden is very good (not as a first book for U10s but over 10s, including beginning adults, should rip into it). I've seen an article by Jonathan Rowson where he recommends it as well for up-and-coming players. It's now out of print, but there are usually a few copies floating around on Amazon.

HLang
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 am

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by HLang » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Oh, and another GM recommended Bronstein's 1953 Candidates book when I asked for recommendations for keen 10-11 year olds who want to become strong players. When I asked what the lowest rating a player would need to have to get value from it was, the remark was that Bronstein's explanations were so lucid, with relatively few variations, that there wasn't really a rating floor.

I would also recommend Convekta/ChessOK's Chess Tactics for Beginners CD/downloadable program. It's a set of tactics that were used for years in the Soviet Union, put together well in interactive form. The name is a misnomer; there are 5 levels and I reckon that to do all of the level 5 puzzles "on sight" a player would need to be at least 135 new ECF, though the level 1 puzzles are things like checkmate in one move, or fork in one move.

User avatar
Gerard Killoran
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Gerard Killoran » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:17 am

Can I suggest you avoid any books by John Walker - for reasons that I won't go into here, but can be found by a simple Google search of 'John Walker chess'.
A 'miserable worm' - Nigel Short

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Rob Thompson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Gerard Killoran wrote:Can I suggest you avoid any books by John Walker - for reasons that I won't go into here, but can be found by a simple Google search of 'John Walker chess'.
This seems irrelevant to how good an author he may or may not have been
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3821
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: First chess books for Kids

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 pm

That site http://www.thechesswebsite.com is OK if face to face is unavailable.

As an excercise for your novice juniors you can get them to
look at the 'Birds Eye View Trap' and spot the glaring hole
in the teacher's play "...from a blitz game."

A good lesson for them not to believe everything they see and hear.
They must check it for themselves.

'How to Beat Your Dad.' Good Book.
Half of Scotland actually think I am Murray's Dad and I was once asked
to autograph his book because I'm mentioned in the title as the target.
(I didn't and said I was just his uncle. ;) .......I'm not).

Post Reply