(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm

My opinion is that it's a morbid proposal to put it no more unkindly.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:22 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:27 pm
Leonard Barden wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:21 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm
None of you seems to mention the First Saturday round robin tournaments in Budapest. They have been proceeding on schedule. There is never any scheduled for January.
Quite right, Stewart, and what is more Keith Arkell played in a First Saturday two months or so ago, announcing it advance here and winning a nice game despite a below par overall result, and that wasn't covered, If this topic is to be of value, surely the highest priority should go to events where English players participate, and the lowest to events in far flung continents where our players cannot realistically venture.

Right now two English juniors, one of them the son of a respected Forum member, are competing in Sunway Sitges in an international open, fighting bravely against much higher rated opponents, and still gaining Fide rating points. Don't they merit at least as much coverage as events in New Zealand or Alaska?
I wish it were that simple. Travel to Hungary from the UK has been next-to-impossible for several months, otherwise I would have gone. Keith was able to play there, as I understand it, because he is a GM and so got an elite-sportsman's invite.
I travelled by train from Pardubice to Budapest, and was able to enter Hungary by obtaining:

1) A official invitation to the October First Saturday tournament from the organiser, Laszlo Nagy, and,
2) A pass obtained online from the Border Police to compete in an 'elite' sports event.

It wasn't necessary to be a GM though. My friend Anuurai Sainbayar , rated about 1600, was able to accompany me and also play lots of chess.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:17 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm
John Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Stewart.
I've had a look through the pages on the Deaths and Obituaries Category.
I'm afraid I've counted over a dozen members very quickly in our Blackpool and Fylde League who have passed away over the last 10 years not reported to the ECF or the forum.
A number of them were regular Congress players so a number of forum members would have played them but possibly not realised they have died.
There seems to be many more from the Lincolnshire Chess Association and down in Essex.
Simon, what exactly are you proposing? I am rather worried that you are going to post ten years worth of obituaries on the site.
Don't worry John. I'm not planning to post ten years worth of Obituaries on the site. I've kept it to the last twelve months.
I'm just trying to float a couple of ideas. On my travels I've counted more and more Deaths not reported.
I noticed that until 10 years ago we had no Deaths and Obituaries Category.
Is it worth starting a new section in the Deaths and Obituaries for Archive Deaths over the last 10 or 14 years. I think there will be useful information for Members and Guests.
Another option is to start a New Topic for the Deaths in General Chat or Chess History and list them County by County.
What is everyone's opinion?
I'm thinking of starting with one county where there isn't too many not reported. I will send a PM to a couple of forum members first in that county for advice.
The topics will be in Chess History.
It's a case of remembering the unsung heroes and informing forum members and guests about the Deaths who might not be aware of their passing. People can then add a tribute if they want.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 am
That's put paid to Kraków, not that it seemed likely to go ahead from Dec 27 anyway (the venue hotel has to shut from the 28th)
It's started. I can find nothing on their website saying it's not running as normal, other than some minor changes to the schedule and the addition of a new tournament group.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:31 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 am
That's put paid to Kraków, not that it seemed likely to go ahead from Dec 27 anyway (the venue hotel has to shut from the 28th)
It's started. I can find nothing on their website saying it's not running as normal, other than some minor changes to the schedule and the addition of a new tournament group.
Yep, that seems to be the case.
All hotels in Poland are supposed to be shut, at least from tomorrow, for accommodation (a few exceptions for medical and military personnel, I believe) and hospitality purposes. But chess is officially a sport in Poland and so the event can go ahead, and presumably the hotel is allowed to stay open for hosting the tournament (but I wonder what is happening to those players who booked hotel accommodation).
I would have gone and taken my chances, but my flights were cancelled.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:14 pm
John Moore wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:43 pm

You're right they do.
That's why I've posted the New Zealand and Australia events into the Topic Obscure Events Going Ahead in the International news category.
I've not found the events taking place in Alaska though. I'm guessing they probably be taking place in either Anchorage or Fairbanks. I'll have a look later.
Surely the coverage should go to Chess players/unsung heroes that have departed this year. There have been so many and will leave big gaps in Chess clubs.
Simon, I wouldn't worry about Alaska. I am sure that Leonard was just using it as an example of an obscure place, not suggesting that there were events going on there.
I was only joking. I have a very dry sense of humour.
I'll try to report the 2 Deaths from Yorkshire and the South West after I've had my tea, later.
While researching the facts for the Deaths and Obituaries recently, sadly I've discovered two more chess player Deaths of which I'm sure some forum members and guests will have heard of the names.
One in East Anglia was an apparent suicide after his partner had passed away and the other in the North of England where the person was seriously assaulted in the street and died in hospital a few days later as a result of his injuries. I'm not sure whether to report them.
Thanks Stewart Reuben for your support. I will probably post them later today or tomorrow.
I'll have a go and if any members can then suggest whether any of it needs editing, it will be much appreciated.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello Tier 4 for everyone. 53,000 cases today, which probably scuppers school and university students going back in January. We shall see tomorrow!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Except if you live in the Isles of Scilly like the Wetherspoons owner.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 am

Apologies in advance of my next Topic in Deaths and Obituaries but I've had to delay posting due to the delicate nature and the court proceedings.
If you all let me know if I need to edit anything it will be much appreciated.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:58 am
Apologies in advance of my next Topic in Deaths and Obituaries but I've had to delay posting due to the delicate nature and the court proceedings.
If you all let me know if I need to edit anything it will be much appreciated.
What court proceedings?
Paul Robert Jackson

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:04 pm

A
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Can't talk about it the public domain. You'll have to google his name and the two people that were charged.
Anyway I still need to post the suicide from East Anglia and I'm afraid I've found another suicide in Wales from earlier this year not far from the English border. I think he played in some English tournaments. I just need to double check some facts. But because of the delicate nature I won't reveal much in the public domain. It's up to other people to google it if they so wish.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:09 pm
Can't talk about it the public domain. You'll have to google his name and the two people that were charged.
Anyway I still need to post the suicide from East Anglia and I'm afraid I've found another suicide in Wales from earlier this year not far from the English border. I think he played in some English tournaments. I just need to double check some facts. But because of the delicate nature I won't reveal much in the public domain. It's up to other people to google it if they so wish.
Yes you can

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Oh no I can't

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:59 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:50 pm
Oh no I can't
Why not?