(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Out of respect for the families of the deceased.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:02 pm
Out of respect for the families of the deceased.
So it's not that you can't (for legal reasons, perhaps), but that you choose not to.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm

The murder is legal and respect for his brother.
The suicides, because I've received a PM that they want the details kept quiet. But you can access details on in the internet.
I think there is more gruesome details for you about the murder in the Grimsby Telegraph.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm
The murder is legal and respect for his brother.
The suicides, because I've received a PM that they want the details kept quiet. But you can access details on in the internet.
I think there is more gruesome details for you about the murder in the Grimsby Telegraph.
If you are suggesting there is a legal reason why you cannot comment on the murder, which is what I thought you were saying, and you still seem to be saying, you are wrong.
As to anyone wanting "gruesome details," your morbid interests have already been referenced by Justin.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:19 pm

I didn't realise you and him were best of friends.
I thought also you ignored his posts.
So why were you asking about more details?
I would prefer to remember these unsung heroes.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm

I was not asking for more details, as I am sure you are aware - I was querying your claim that you "can't talk about it in the public domain."

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:34 pm

I think these people deserved to be remembered. They have done so much for their clubs. Without these people, who are perhaps not the strongest of players, then we would have a lot fewer Chess clubs.
If you and him want to have political arguments and personally attack each other that's up to you.
I would prefer to talk about Chess and the Chess players.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:43 am

The Southend Congress for 2021 due to be held at Easter has been cancelled.

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:49 pm

John Moore wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:43 am
Thanks John. I'd optimistically thought I might be able to return to OTB chess at Southend but under the circumstances a good call by the organisers. Hopefully it'll return in 2022.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:36 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm
John Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Stewart.
I've had a look through the pages on the Deaths and Obituaries Category.
I'm afraid I've counted over a dozen members very quickly in our Blackpool and Fylde League who have passed away over the last 10 years not reported to the ECF or the forum.
A number of them were regular Congress players so a number of forum members would have played them but possibly not realised they have died.
There seems to be many more from the Lincolnshire Chess Association and down in Essex.
Simon, what exactly are you proposing? I am rather worried that you are going to post ten years worth of obituaries on the site.
Don't worry John. I'm not planning to post ten years worth of Obituaries on the site. I've kept it to the last twelve months.
I'm just trying to float a couple of ideas. On my travels I've counted more and more Deaths not reported.
I noticed that until 10 years ago we had no Deaths and Obituaries Category.
Is it worth starting a new section in the Deaths and Obituaries for Archive Deaths over the last 10 or 14 years. I think there will be useful information for Members and Guests.
Another option is to start a New Topic for the Deaths in General Chat or Chess History and list them County by County.
What is everyone's opinion?
Simon

I was responsible for suggesting to Carl a separate Death & Obituaries section in 2012. Prior to that these sort of notifications occurred in General Chat or elsewhere. Those that had been reported prior to 2012 were relocated into the new section. I think it appropriate that the section remain as it is as a central place for reporting such occurrences.

Your sterling work in this section is much appreciated this year. Those people who were unreported prior to this should be left as unreported. If they weren't mentioned at the time they should be left; there are now some 366 threads detailing deaths which IMHO will cover the vast majority of people of note who have passed away. There is no need to sub-divide into County or Regional lists - many people were active and known nationally as well as locally - I have looked through this year's obituaries and knew over 20 of those mentioned.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:38 pm

John Moore wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:43 am
Is confidence that low that we may go back to tier 1 by then?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:10 pm

It depends how much confidence there is in -

"We can look forward to a very, very different world from Easter onwards" (Boris Johnson)

Some might take that as a double-edged pronouncement from the Delphic Oracle.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:17 pm

Yeah its a realistic decision by the Southend organisers I would think. Yesterdays Covid numbers were very scary and its little wonder that no one would want to organise a tournament in roughly 12 weeks time with a very good chance it would be cancelled anyway. The vaccines are unlikely to arrest the spread in that space of time, perhaps the summer is the time when the congresses here might start springing up again.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:37 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:38 pm
Is confidence that low that we may go back to tier 1 by then?
Even in tier 1, it would need creative interpretation of "mingling" regulations to have more than six people in a match or tournament.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:36 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:23 pm
John Moore wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Simon, what exactly are you proposing? I am rather worried that you are going to post ten years worth of obituaries on the site.
Don't worry John. I'm not planning to post ten years worth of Obituaries on the site. I've kept it to the last twelve months.
I'm just trying to float a couple of ideas. On my travels I've counted more and more Deaths not reported.
I noticed that until 10 years ago we had no Deaths and Obituaries Category.
Is it worth starting a new section in the Deaths and Obituaries for Archive Deaths over the last 10 or 14 years. I think there will be useful information for Members and Guests.
Another option is to start a New Topic for the Deaths in General Chat or Chess History and list them County by County.
What is everyone's opinion?
Simon

I was responsible for suggesting to Carl a separate Death & Obituaries section in 2012. Prior to that these sort of notifications occurred in General Chat or elsewhere. Those that had been reported prior to 2012 were relocated into the new section. I think it appropriate that the section remain as it is as a central place for reporting such occurrences.

Your sterling work in this section is much appreciated this year. Those people who were unreported prior to this should be left as unreported. If they weren't mentioned at the time they should be left; there are now some 366 threads detailing deaths which IMHO will cover the vast majority of people of note who have passed away. There is no need to sub-divide into County or Regional lists - many people were active and known nationally as well as locally - I have looked through this year's obituaries and knew over 20 of those mentioned.
Thanks for your constructive advice and support Neil it is much appreciated.
Reporting Deaths and Obituaries to a wider audience is not easy and reading some posts it is taken the wrong way.
I noticed in another thread I was called a "coffin-chaser" by a forum member who should know better.
I also received a PM from someone else, where I was called " the grim reaper" and "Angel of Death " with a veiled threat which I have dismissed.
I'll probably post more on International News and Chess Questions.
Before midnight I hope all members and guests have a brief pause and remember the people we have lost
throughout the year.
I hope everyone has a safe and peaceful New Year.