Post
by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 pm
You are not allowed to leave the board when it is your move, but obviously there might be very good reasons to do so.
I played someone last season who (when it was his move) suddenly jumped up from the board and left the room, then left the building, so I started to follow him, but he quickly returned. I'm not normally that suspicious, but last time he played our club he disappeared from the room every move for about a minute, then replied quickly. Also his rating has gone up a lot recently..... Maybe he's just nervous and has to pace about. I like to pace about but I usually stay in the room - at least that way people can see you're just walking about - if you start hiding, people will wonder why.
You could politely ask afterwards why he suddenly disappeared!
It's hard work being an arbiter. At one event I found myself trailing a junior when he/she went for a walk, as another arbiter had told me that the junior had previously been caught in the analysis room looking at his/her father's laptop, which was coincidentally running Fritz on his/her game position. You have to be careful, e.g. "And that is why I was following the child, My Lord."
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey