London Chess Classic - games only

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
andrew martin

Re: London Chess Classic - games only

Post by andrew martin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:22 pm

If Nigel wins this position after 17 Re2 or 17 Re3, there will have to be a stewards enquiry.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 pm

There should be an enquiry into why he is taking so long to play it

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Yes, it is baffling why he is taking all this time to play what is a very standard idea. Not very practical.

( In the end,after long thought comes 17 Re2. Very odd.)

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Ola Winfridsson wrote:Krishna: So, you were at Olympia yesterday? Great to hear about the England win against India, but where is this posted? I don't see any info on the Classic website, and can't find Sabrina's post.
Sabrina has been posting, here on the forum - see in junior chess. I am not sure why there is not anything on the main website as I think it is the kind of thing that Sabrina/Malcolm should be very proud of having organised.

Just to keep on topic, there is a link for the games where she has posted.

PS it was lovely being there and seeing so many lovely people and friendly faces!

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:26 pm

andrew martin wrote:Looking at the openings of the games this afternoon, I am going to get in on the predicting and forecast 4 draws.
Now that the games are finished, I am going to get in on the predictions and forecast - wait for it - 4 draws.... :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:01 pm

FWIW, the reason I predicted four draws was the way the colours gave White to the player who was nominally weaker/not in form, and because maybe the players wanted a bit of a quieter round. I am going out on another limb and I will predict some decisive games tomorrow. :D

PS. Yes, predicting the results after the games have started is cheating!

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:FWIW, the reason I predicted four draws was the way the colours gave White to the player who was nominally weaker/not in form, and because maybe the players wanted a bit of a quieter round. I am going out on another limb and I will predict some decisive games tomorrow. :D

PS. Yes, predicting the results after the games have started is cheating!
Well done Christopher - that is 4/4. Mantle of Forum Oracle passes to you - it is a big responsibility - wear it wisely! :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Krishna Shiatis wrote:Well done Christopher - that is 4/4. Mantle of Forum Oracle passes to you - it is a big responsibility - wear it wisely! :)
Thanks. :D

The standings make interesting reading:

http://www.londonchessclassic.com/classic.standings.htm

Nakamura (still the leader, though with an extra game) has the bye tomorrow.

Short-McShane
Kramnik-Howell
Aronian-Anand
Carlsen-Adams

I'm going to predict wins for Kramnik over Howell and Carlsen over Adams (sorry!), which would see them overtake Nakamura. And a draw between Aronian and Anand. The result of Short-McShane is harder to predict. Both will want to win, but I'm going to go for a win for McShane.

Looking further ahead, Nakamura will be finishing with two Whites, and if he wins them both should be favourite. McShane also finishes with two Whites. Carlsen will be finishing with two Blacks, and if he won those that would probably be it. As in 2009, Carlsen's last round will be against Short. Aronian also finishes with two Blacks.

In terms of tie-breaks, six wins with Black so far in the tournament. Two from McShane, one each from Kramnik, Short, Nakamura, Anand. Even after round 7, the lead will be a single point with everything still to play for (unless Carlsen, McShane and Kramnik all lose in round 7).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:48 pm

Apart from Adams, all the White players tried today - lots of tactics bubbling between the surface which never saw the light of day because of careful defence, perhaps rather like several rounds of the recent Tal Memorial. And a real moment of class from Kramnik when he played ...Bxe4!, one of those rare moves which had even strong GMs scratching their heads for a while.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Apart from Adams, all the White players tried today - lots of tactics bubbling between the surface which never saw the light of day because of careful defence, perhaps rather like several rounds of the recent Tal Memorial. And a real moment of class from Kramnik when he played ...Bxe4!, one of those rare moves which had even strong GMs scratching their heads for a while.
Heh. I was in the commentary room when Lawrence Trent glanced over to the screen (having just left the commentary table where Chris Ward and Danny King were preparing to introduce Carlsen), and I saw Lawrence mouth "Nxe4" as he tried to work it out as well. I really enjoyed the Anand-Kramnik game, and the McShane-Nakamura one as well. As you say, lots of tactics beneath the surface.

One interesting point about today was the demeanour of the players when they arrive. I'd missed all the opening stuff for each round so far, but was there today, and McShane arrived first and spent a minute or so sitting at the board adjusting the chess pieces, obviously going through some sort of routine. He then went and sat with the other tournament players in the front rows of the audience as Malcolm Pein introduced them and they came up on the stage, but it was an interesting cameo.

And McShane is currently being billed as "the world's strongest amateur". I'm wondering how much of an advantage it is to be able to prepare for your opponent using games from tournaments they have played in recently, and for them to not have many recent games that you've played to prepare with? one of the advantages of various levels of inactivity?

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:56 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:And McShane is currently being billed as "the world's strongest amateur". I'm wondering how much of an advantage it is to be able to prepare for your opponent using games from tournaments they have played in recently, and for them to not have many recent games that you've played to prepare with? one of the advantages of various levels of inactivity?
The flip side of this, presumably, is that McShane maybe somewhat lacking in "match practice" to borrow a fotboll, rugby etc term.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Yawn yawn yawn. I am hoping for more excitement today!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Well, Short-McShane is an interesting start. McShane defending with the Becker defence (h6), perhaps in homage to the visit by Boris. But actually named after a strong German player from the 20s and 30s - just ruined your line, John S. Apologies.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Presumably Nigel plays 8 Bc4 when Nc6 is a huge blunder because of 9 Ng5 hg5 10 Rh8 Bh8 11 Qh5

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:13 pm

I am not yawning now. Congrats to Nigel for making it interesting. The devil may care approach of a man who has written off his chances in this tournament? Whatever: we certainly cannot call this opening anaemic!
Last edited by Nick Ivell on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.