London Chess Classic - games only

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Moore

Re: London Chess Classic - games only

Post by John Moore » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Nigel does play all sorts of interesting ideas in the e4 e5 lines. I wish he wouldn't do this self indulgent thing of playing on until mate, though.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 pm

Nigel is the 'King of the unexpected'....Luke is pacing a little....looks like a good battle going on there.

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Both David and Luke have same amount of time; David has played more moves - he is on move 18 and Luke on 12ish...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Oooh, has Nigel lost a piece there, or sacrificed it?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:11 pm

The tournament seems to be going horribly wrong for all but one of the English players. :( :( :(

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:28 pm

Still, it will be nice to have a third 2700 amongst the English ranks, since Luke is almost certain to reach that milestone sometime in the near future. I wonder who will be next after him, though - will Gawain Jones continue his impresive rise to the heights, or will David Howell manage to shake off his run of bad form and be the superstar we always expected him to be?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Feel the Arkelling!

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 pm

The endgame was very arkell'esque but the middlegame seemed a little too lively to me, almost like black had some chances but failed to apply the appropriate technique to win...
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:05 am

Haha, well the real me has to deal with top board v the top seed in the last round to decide the spoils...

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:18 am

John Moore wrote:Nigel does play all sorts of interesting ideas in the e4 e5 lines. I wish he wouldn't do this self indulgent thing of playing on until mate, though.
I dunno. It wasn't until mate this time (and in one of those games, Short was the one delivering mate!), but I did enjoy seeing Luke play the best moves as I was watching on the screen in the lobby and not quite playing the position as well as he was! He kept pushing pawns when I'd have played other moves. I did predict all the results, but that wasn't exactly difficult today given the rating and form disparities. I should have been preparing to play chess myself rather than following this tournament, as in the first three rounds of the weekender I entered I was better in all three games but lost two and drew one (which I could easily have lost as well). Just wasn't able to concentrate, and atrocious clock handling.

Anyway, looking at the pairings for the last two rounds, it still looks like Nakamura's to win, as he is quite capable of beating both Short and Adams (in that order), with White. Where it will get interesting is if Nakamura draws or loses one of those games. McShane came close to downing Carlsen, and he is very capable of drawing both his games (both with White) against Kramnik and Anand (again, in that order). It would be a real coup (and unexpected) if he won one or both those games against a former and current world champion, but I'll be rooting for him all the way in both games.

Of the three leaders and the fourth player settled in just behind them (the winner will be one of these four), only two of them play each other in the final two rounds: McShane-Kramnik today. On that topic, when Kramnik was commentating in an earlier round, I think he responded to one of the "world's strongest amateur" comments about McShane with something along the lines of saying that McShane is a very strong player regardless of whether he is playing professionally or not, which is very true. Will be interesting to see what opening is played today. Kramnik's last round game is against Aronian, and the result there may depend on what result Kramnik needs to play for.

Carlsen plays Short in the final round, but before that he has the little matter of a game against Anand, and Carlsen has Black. Again, will be interesting to see what Carlsen comes up with, as a draw here won't be the end of his chances, but a win would make him massive favourite to win the tournament.

I'm going to predict for round 8:

Carlsen (with Black) to beat Anand
Howell (with White) to draw with Aronian
McShane (with White) to draw with Kramnik
Short (with Black) to beat Nakamura

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:25 am

Keith Arkell wrote:Haha, well the real me has to deal with top board v the top seed in the last round to decide the spoils...
Good luck!

I'm trying to find out whether I even have a game. With only 0.5/3 and others possibly taking byes, there might be an odd number of players and someone given a bye. No pairings online though:

"Weekender 'B' U170
Pairings and Results for this event will appear on this page.
Bookmark it now with CTRL+D."

http://www.livechess.co.uk/classic/2011 ... index.html

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:55 am

Good luck to Keith and Christopher! - will be looking out for you....

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 pm

An alternate presentation of the live games is here, if it works that is:

http://rs8.blueapricot.com/pgn4web/live ... iewer.html
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:56 pm

What predictions did we have for today?

I am afraid I don't see much compensation for Luke. I don't see much going for Naka either though - it is odd how top players sometimes seem to play the English with "nothing much in mind", perhaps especially against Short! (cf his game v Movsesian recently). A Kramnik win and Naka draw would put Kramnik in sole first - but probably still needing to beat Aronian tomorrow.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Now looking a bit deeper and am becoming happier with Luke's position ... and Qh5 (rather than Qxf4) certainly makes a difference