Royal Wedding and chess tournaments

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Louise Sinclair

Re: Royal Wedding and chess tournaments

Post by Louise Sinclair » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 am

Nothing special about the British monarchy. At the end of WW1, the Hohenzollerns, Hapsburgs, and Ottoman sultans -- all of whom had been around for centuries -- vanished from the stage
Pre World War I Dom Carlos King of Portugal remarked To Edward VII that within a few years there would be only five kings remaining - those of Hearts, Spades, Diamonds, Clubs and Britain.
After civil war in Spain Juan Carlos was welcomed back when General Franscisco Franco was on his death bed. France also welcomed back a monarchy post revolution and our civil war brought about the return of the monarchy when people could no longer tolerate old Noll and his killjoy beliefs.
The monarchy haven't caused the problems with the welfare state - look at your politicians for the cause. They use benefits to purchase block voting.
As for the bias against religion
It's as ridiculous as religion - why must we hang on to a way of life that suited the uneducated of yesteryear
are we referring to all religions in this country - or only the christian faith.
It isn't religion that promotes poor education. Note the politicians who insist on state education for their children at a faith school - while insisting on refusing to reinstate the excellent Grammar schools of yesteryear.
It was Crossland who pledged to close every one of those f****** grammar schools not the queen or a religion but a political creed.
Last edited by Louise Sinclair on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:15 am

This is definitely moving into 'Not chess' territory.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:17 am

Ian
It wasn't I who moved the thread.
Louise

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:20 am

Arshad Ali wrote:Some might argue that the institution of the monarchy is just one more element that prevents the country from changing radically. The infrastructure is decrepit, there's a shortage of housing and jobs, British industry is in long-term decline, the social welfare state is being dismantled -- but hey! -- there's still the spectacle of the Royal weddings, the changing of the guard, and all the other antiquated trappings of a dead feudal past. All to be read in The Sun and the Daily Mail, or to be followed on Sky TV.
Somehow I doubt that getting rid of the monarchy would radically overhaul the infrastructure, provide housing and jobs for everyone (unless you're thinking of turning Buckingham Palace into council flats) and generally make everything in the country wonderful - if anything, it would lead to job losses due to the decrease in tourism. Believe it or not, running the country is the job of the government, so any problems with the way it's being run are the government's fault - which government, of course, is an entirely separate debate. Country screwed up? Must be the coalition's fault. No, on second thoughts, let's blame Blair and Brown for landing us in this mess in the first place. No, that's unfair, it was Thatcher who did most of the damage. Heath wasn't very good, and come to that nor was Attlee. Or maybe it's all Disraeli's fault...

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:
As for the bias against religion
It's as ridiculous as religion - why must we hang on to a way of life that suited the uneducated of yesteryear
are we referring to all religions in this country - or only the christian faith.
It isn't religion that promotes poor education. Note the politicians who insist on state education for their children at a faith school - while insisting on refusing to reinstate the excellent Grammar schools of yesteryear.

All religions, in every country - I have no bias. From the Vatican's views on women priests and homosexuals to Islam's condoning of "honour killings". I base my thinking on fairness and logic. It baffles me how educated minds ignore this; I can only put it down to my lack of brainwashing as a child.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 pm

I wasn't brainwashed as a child. My parents encouraged me to examine all faiths and make my own decisions. I wasn't christened and grew up with a keen interest in all faiths. I think there are good and bad in different religions. I don't see Islam or the catholic religion as major oppressors of women without examining things in context.
Islam in the past often had an "enlightened view" of women compared to other faiths. For example a portion of a dowry had to be set aside to protect the wife in the case of divorce.Also a man who didn't satisfy his women sexually was sneered at -The Perfumed Gardens Burton - check it out some guys might learn something from it.
As for catholics some of the objections and reasoning against the use of birth control are not illogical. Many methods of birth control make use of devices and artificial hormones which ptomote ill health in women. It was Paul VI who promoted the use of safe birth control by saying "a time to embrac a time to abstain"
Many women have suffered major health issues due to unpleasant methods of birth control.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:37 pm

The date of 29th April has been announced, which is the day before the final 4NCL weekend.

It's also my birthday. :lol:

Gareth Harley-Yeo

Post by Gareth Harley-Yeo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:I
As for catholics some of the objections and reasoning against the use of birth control are not illogical. Many methods of birth control make use of devices and artificial hormones which ptomote ill health in women. It was Paul VI who promoted the use of safe birth control by saying "a time to embrac a time to abstain"
Many women have suffered major health issues due to unpleasant methods of birth control.
So condemning the possible aversion of unwanted children, teen mothers, the spread of HIV and other STI's in 3rd world countries etc. is not illogical? And you say you weren't brainwashed?

I rest my case.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 pm

The spread of HIV and other STDS is not due to lack of contraception. There are many forms of contraception which don't offer protection gainst these diseases. Only condoms offer partial protection and I say partial due to the fact that these devices often split and men often refuse to use them or fail to function while wearing them. In fact many men in third world countries are known to seek out young virgins to avoid infection from HIV - thus rendering any stance on contraception to be ineffective.
In my past I as a woman have suffered health issues due to the use of contraception. I was brought up in a non catholic background so I don't think I was brainwashed to be anti contraception. However having spoken with other women about how unwell the pill made them feel and knowing of a friend who suffered considerable pain and bleeding from the use of the IUD I think that I have knowledge of the unpleasant side of contraception and the damage it can do to female health.
However- Gareth provided you don't have to use unpleasant forms of contraception I guess you will remain in ignorance of the unwanted side effects.
For instance the birth control pill is an effective killer of libido in women - but maybe you don't notice the difference provided they are compliant with your requirements.

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Bob Clark wrote:Back to the original discussion, who's going to organise a tournament on Apr 29th?
Not a very convenient date for them to choose, just before the final 4NCL weekend!!
On the contrary, it's easy enough to get from London to Hinckley. Anyone know if William and Kate play chess?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Alex and Bob >Back to the original discussion, who's going to organise a tournament on Apr 29th?
Not a very convenient date for them to choose, just before the final 4NCL weekend!!<

If the venue is available, it is an ideal day to hold an extra event on the Friday. I would suggest an alternate moves no consultation Swiss. Perhaps 10 minutes + 5 seconds. This is very popular in Hastings and Gibraltar and has been done at the British. This has an element of team chess. Both those events have a cap on the total rating of the two players, perhaps 4600 as in Gib. The objective is to get people to mix socially, but is not essential.
Over to Mike Truran.
Stewart Reuben

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Alex and Bob >Back to the original discussion, who's going to organise a tournament on Apr 29th?
Not a very convenient date for them to choose, just before the final 4NCL weekend!!<

If the venue is available, it is an ideal day to hold an extra event on the Friday.
Venue might get booked early for something else that day (many others will probably decide to get married on that day). A more ambitious idea would be to combine the preceding Easter weekend and the following Wedding/May double bank holiday weekend, and do a big chess tournament running from the Easter Friday to the May Bank Holiday. That would clash with existing Easter congresses and the 4NCL weekend, but it is an idea. Only three working days in that 11-day stretch. Wonder how many people are already scrambling to book the time off work?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: That would clash with existing Easter congresses and the 4NCL weekend, but it is an idea. Only three working days in that 11-day stretch. Wonder how many people are already scrambling to book the time off work?
Given the clash with the 4NCL, there may be larger audiences for 9 rounds in 8 days from Good Friday to Wedding Friday.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:12 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: That would clash with existing Easter congresses and the 4NCL weekend, but it is an idea. Only three working days in that 11-day stretch. Wonder how many people are already scrambling to book the time off work?
Given the clash with the 4NCL, there may be larger audiences for 9 rounds in 8 days from Good Friday to Wedding Friday.
Maybe. It depends whether larger number of people play Easter congresses or 4NCL. Possibly we will see some expanded Easter congresses, but maybe some of them have already reached the stage of their planning where they can't adjust. Possibly you could get some double-weekend events, running both at Easter and the May Day weekend (8 days in total).

If people want to take three whole weeks holiday (23 days from Saturday 16th April to Sunday 8th May), most can do so for only 11 days holiday (though that is quite a lot by now).

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:26 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Maybe. It depends whether larger number of people play Easter congresses or 4NCL.
Wrong question. It depends whether a larger number of people who would be likely to play a 9-rounder play in Easter congresses or 4NCL. I suspect the answer is the latter.