Need some help of what to do?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

Need some help of what to do?

Post by John Reyes » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 am

Hi all

I just wonder if you can help me as I need some advise?

I went to an County AGM in October and in Any Other Business I raised something that was I felt that the clubs and the leagues should know as the chairperson has for the last 5 years, been forced me out of getting involve in County chess and when I have put my name forward, he has snowball me

the issue was that the NCCU put a proposal forward for the April meeting, but was rejected, but as one half of the Silver members

I pull him up on this

this was sent to the silver members

Note: In addition to responses to our proposals an Email campaign was launched by the proposer of this motion, (Mr X). He wrote to silver members known to him supplying a template Email to be forwarded to Michael (but not John). he did not supply either Michael's home Email address nor the Email address allocated by the ECF for our use. Instead all the replies went to the address of the voting register officer. Most replies used his exact wording (usually in the same large emboldened font). No reply commented on any other issue and none referred to the consultation document, which we suspect had not been read by any respondent. 18 replies were received, 2 of which inserted a 'no' to reverse the meaning. In addition, a counter-petition (from one of those who had inserted a 'no') was received opposing the motion signed by 12 silver members.

I pull him up on this and he did quote to the meeting that he did not like me as a person and what is your issue as you have become the Manchester Chess Federation open team Captain.

I told the Meeting the reason why, and I hope the minutes will reflected that.

But anyway ..............................................

I email the outgoing County Secretary on the 8th October, tell me that the minutes was written up and just being checked for accuracy.
I re email him on the 27th asked any update on the minutes and the email I got back from him on the 2/12/18, that he has completed the minutes and forwarded them to the County President and Future NCCU President for Distribution.

I then email the current secretary saying when are the minutes are coming out, and he told me he is unsure?

So I sent The League President, the previous and current secretary on the 3/12/18 this

Hello MR X

I have asked when is the Lancashire AGM Minutes will be coming out?

I know that peter has sent it to you and I have email Carl as well as he has took over as the Lancashire Secretary

as the Urmston Secretary, but also attended the meeting, I would like to see what was wrote

thanks

JOhn Reyes
Urmston League Secretary

what do I do?
any advise?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Need some help of what to do?

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm not sure there is an awful lot you can do in the short term. If the individual in question is who I think he is then he is a well entrenched individual with a power base and own agenda who can easily bat away any dissent. The only thing you can do is try to build up your own base over time and try to ensure that those who support you attend meetings and make their voice heard.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 pm

indeed

The only issue i have is that the minutes has not been published and i think that is down to the person, saying at the meeting that he had a personal problem with me.

i'm know he does a lot for chess, but at the same time, i don't like bullies.

I am happy to tell the Reason i took on the Greater Manchester Open Team County Captain

Is it after 4 Years try to put myself for roles in the Lancashire Organisation (offer to be ECF rep and also forward as NCCU Rep every year for the last 3 year, but was shot down and also as NCCU President (i was told that he was Personally asked to be the NCCU President, but i know it is down to the organisation, to pick the president).

Also after trying to fix the silver members votes to support the nccu proposal,

"Note: In addition to responses to our proposals an Email campaign was launched by the proposer of this motion, (Mr X). He wrote to silver members known to him supplying a template Email to be forwarded to Michael (but not John). he did not supply either Michael's home Email address nor the Email address allocated by the ECF for our use. Instead all the replies went to the address of the voting register officer. Most replies used his exact wording (usually in the same large emboldened font). No reply commented on any other issue and none referred to the consultation document, which we suspect had not been read by any respondent. 18 replies were received, 2 of which inserted a 'no' to reverse the meaning. In addition, a counter-petition (from one of those who had inserted a 'no') was received opposing the motion signed by 12 silver members."

anyway i was asked by the MCF to captain the team, due to the 100 year of the County Championship, to see if i wanted to captain the team, as that was down to my involvement vs the liverpool league match in 2017, in which we picked 25 players over all the club to play against them.

i spoken to my wife and after the way i was treated by the lancashire President in which he talk down to me, he is a Bully

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 pm
anyway i was asked by the MCF to captain the team, due to the 100 year of the County Championship, to see if i wanted to captain the team, as that was down to my involvement vs the liverpool league match in 2017, in which we picked 25 players over all the club to play against them.
I am confused. Of which MCF team are you this season's captain?

As for the Lancashire CA President, we have experience of him in Surrey.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Unfortunately, raising the dispute that you have with your local chess association on a public forum is likely to make attempts at conciliation and resolution rather more difficult than they need be.

All organisations should have a constitution which specifies how the organisation is governed and how its officers are appointed. So, a first step might be to read through that.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm
John Reyes wrote:

We have experience of him in Yorkshire!

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:33 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
John Reyes wrote:

The Open County Team this year, because i was asked and when Someone who don't like you, what do you do?
You are letting the Organisation down as there no new blood coming though?

He always said every year, we are the only Organisation who is in every section of the national finals of the county Championship

He has these one vision glasses and that is wrong for chess?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
?

Surrey chess has experience of many remarkable events and individuals, does this chap particularly stand out?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:57 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
?

Surrey chess has experience of many remarkable events and individuals, does this chap particularly stand out?
If you think of disputes and empty rooms, I have to concede that there are past rivals in Surrey.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:02 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm
Not an internal Surrey dispute, but an external one.

viewtopic.php?t=8472#p182743

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 pm

In my four year involvement with the county championships I'm sorry to say that my dealings with both Lancs and Surrey (with a few honorable exceptions) were pretty negative.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 pm
In my four year involvement with the county championships I'm sorry to say that my dealings with both Lancs and Surrey (with a few honorable exceptions) were pretty negative.
A feeling which I have heard was mutual.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:36 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:15 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 pm
A feeling which I have heard was mutual.
Which doesn't bother me at all. When I was controller I tried to deal with every query and dispute that came my way as quickly and as fairly as I could (not least the dispute that Roger has dug up). In return I received plenty of accusatory and abusive emails for my pains.

For the sake of balance I also received some very pleasant and appreciative emails from other county captains and organisers, even those that were at times providing critical feedback; they recognised that I was a volunteer working within a cumbersome system I didn't design. Some of these individuals (including one from Surrey) I remain on friendly terms with even now. So I can't have got everything wrong.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:50 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 am
you have become the Manchester Chess Federation open team Captain.
One of the originators on the Lancs side of this forty year old and counting dispute has died, There do however seem to be those in Lancashire who want to keep it going as a memorial.

County open teams were at the heart of the original dispute and it would appear that however takes on the job of being Greater Manchester captain is going to be treated as though he was Satan himself by some in the Lancs establishment.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:50 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:22 am
you have become the Manchester Chess Federation open team Captain.
One of the originators on the Lancs side of this forty year old and counting dispute has died, There do however seem to be those in Lancashire who want to keep it going as a memorial.

County open teams were at the heart of the original dispute and it would appear that however takes on the job of being Greater Manchester captain is going to be treated as though he was Satan himself by some in the Lancs establishment.
This is one reason I support direct entry to the county championships with no link to the union stages. The ECF would no longer get entangled in these long running union disputes and the NCCU itself would probably just shrivel into nothing.