Chess & Bridge Withdraw Ray Keene's Book from Sale

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Chess & Bridge Withdraw Ray Keene's Book from Sale

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm
Kevin >Some years ago, a teacher that had written various chess books got locked up for sexual abuse of children. BCM immediately took all of those books off the shelves and stopped advertising them<

Murray Chandler did more than that. Walker's LATEST book had been printed by BCM but not yet districuted. Murray had them all pulped.
Good for him.

As with Brian Eley, the real question about John Walker is how he got away with it for so long.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm
As with Brian Eley, the real question about John Walker is how he got away with it for so long.
Yes - and the uncomfortable fact is that, if we knew the answers, they might give some indication whether others remain undetected. It wasn't that long ago that institutions as diverse as football clubs and the Roman Catholic Church were in denial so, disagreeable though it may be, it's hard to completely rule this out.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm

In respect of Brian Eley no-one knows precisely what he "got away with". He skipped bail and has not been seen or heard of since. One reads that he was seen in Amsterdam by some unnamed person but unless someone states differently his disappearance has been complete despite an appeal on Crime Watch. This matter is now nearly 30 years old - he would be in his 70 s now - and possibly dead.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Incidentally I am not sure that if we are to discuss Brian Eley it should be on a thread largely devoted to another individual.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:13 pm
In respect of Brian Eley no-one knows precisely what he "got away with". He skipped bail and has not been seen or heard of since. One reads that he was seen in Amsterdam by some unnamed person but unless someone states differently his disappearance has been complete despite an appeal on Crime Watch. This matter is now nearly 30 years old - he would be in his 70 s now - and possibly dead.
Forty Four affidavits were recorded from alleged victims. I believe it is known to whom BR Eley Chess Supplies was sold. I'm sure both Jim Plaskett and Gary Kenworthy could provide much more detail.

One of the more interesting (but perhaps not welcome) details would be the extent (or otherwise) of the BCFs knowledge some time prior to BRE leaving the UK.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Randomly, I just googled for Brian Eley and got this report about another Brian Eley...

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/d ... pedophilia
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Maybe people who want to post about Brian Eley could start another thread, and some of these postings could be moved to it?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Agree that, as this topic concerns plagiarism rather than paedophilia, posts about the latter are better elsewhere.

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:49 pm

This undermines even further Jimmy Adams' car-crash defence of Raymond Keene in the BCM.

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Since I am not a subscriber to the BCM (I see only occasional issues electronically), may I ask what corrections, if any, the magazine has published?
With thanks,
- O.G. Urcan

dejan_lekic

Post by dejan_lekic » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:05 pm

I suppose if you publish a dozen Lakdawala books a month there really is no bottom when it comes to quality.
I really do not mind. Cyrus has very nice style of writing, and even though the books are not of highest quality, usually they are (IMHO) worth the money as he typically explains most important pieces of theory in his typical, humorous way. His "Play ...c6" Black repertoire book coauthored with Keaton is just amazing. I have 4-5 books written by him in my collection, and none of them is bad.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:48 pm

dejan_lekic wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:05 pm
I suppose if you publish a dozen Lakdawala books a month there really is no bottom when it comes to quality.
I really do not mind. Cyrus has very nice style of writing,
The worst chess writer currently practising
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

dejan_lekic

Post by dejan_lekic » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 pm

Looks like people, who probably never wrote any book, envy Curys as he is obviously a hard-working person. It is always easy to criticise someone else's work... As I mentioned before, I have few books written (or coauthored) by him and I do not find them bad at all. - Quite contrary!

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:39 am

dejan_lekic wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 pm
Looks like people, who probably never wrote any book, envy Curys as he is obviously a hard-working person. It is always easy to criticise someone else's work... As I mentioned before, I have few books written (or coauthored) by him and I do not find them bad at all. - Quite contrary!
A grumpy old pedant I may be, but an unpublished wannabe author I am not. When I write, I think hard about exactly what I am trying to say, and (with the help of a dictionary if necessary) which words will convey that meaning as effectively as possible. And, in the unlikely event of my being paid to write a chess repertoire book, I would try hard to deal with all the alternative move orders that the reader is likely to meet. Lakdawala can't be bothered to do any of these things.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:39 am

Lakdawala is the Mrs Brown’s Boys of chess book authors