What happens when the pub closes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Blower

What happens when the pub closes

Post by David Blower » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 pm

So we know that a lot of chess clubs play in pubs. What then happens to the chess club if the pub closes down either by a brewery or by the landlord. Obviously the chess club would then have to go to a new venue but how often does this happen.

Roger de Coverly

Re: What happens when the pub closes

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:15 pm

David Blower wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:11 pm
Obviously the chess club would then have to go to a new venue but how often does this happen.
It can also be that the chess club are unable to agree terms with the new Landlord. See the thread about Drunken Knights in London.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 pm

One of the local clubs has been forced at short notice to find a new venue for their last two fixtures this season. I did offer to host at my own club, but they preferred to at least have notional home advantage. One club on losing a venue moved back to their traditional home via a brief stop at a new location. This did cause some confusion when I told somebody they had moved, not realising 'new venue' meant something different to him.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:15 am

"So we know that a lot of chess clubs play in pubs. What then happens to the chess club if the pub closes down either by a brewery or by the landlord."

I recall Mitcham and Streatham having problems like that, although in the latter's case, one move led to a vast improvement in venue. In those days, it was usually a new landlord wanting changes, nowadays, pubs are closing so frequently that that is more likely the cause.

Redhill actually got thrown out of a church hall, as a new church took over the building and they said chess was evil as it was gambling. However, this church is now flats as (like many refurbished pubs) nobody wanted to turn up to the new one!

In answer to the original question, Surrey clubs have been quite good at offering neutral venues when someone has been kicked out.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:40 pm

During my time my Club has been forced to move 4 times, not exactly from pubs but from social clubs or similar.
  • Venue decides to open doors at 7.30pm (our official match start time) rather than 7pm, with no advance warning. Dozens of bemused/annoyed patrons, not just chessplayers, stuck outside the first time it happened.
  • Venue hire fee doubled at short notice.
  • Venue to be demolished for a car park.
  • Venue claims we we weren't drinking enough (though that was just a pretext to evict us).

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 am

"Venue claims we we weren't drinking enough (though that was just a pretext to evict us)."

I think that's in the pub landlords' training manual as number 1 excuse to get rid of people.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Four years ago my club had a similar scenario to Drunken Knights - the pub was refurbished and although we could have stayed it would have cost too much. Fortunately we managed to find somewhere else at a more reasonable cost.

Ted Black

Post by Ted Black » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Facetious answer....you walk home and go to bed!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Stagger home, shurely?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 pm

According to Alex Glasgow
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com