Harassment and Toxic Behavior on Chess.com

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Re: Harassment and Toxic Behavior on Chess.com

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 am

There seem to be tons of things you see in online chess that would never happen over the board, these are a few of the most common:

1. DEMANDING an opponent resigns a losing position immediately, presumably so the time doesn't get too short and it becomes hard for them to continue using their engine to cheat.

2. Constant stream of abuse about your style of play, especially when your choice of opening does not match their carefully memorised theory and they have to actually think for themselves.

3. Resignation by clock, whereby they sit and run the time out rather then actually resign or play the game out.

4. Forced disconnection: especially on chesscube.com, I lost track of the number of games I was massively winning and suddenly got disconnected (I don't think it ever happened when I was losing a game). They never really addressed the issue and I moved to lichess instead
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Re: Harassment and Toxic Behavior on Chess.com

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 17, 2019 6:48 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 am
There seem to be tons of things you see in online chess that would never happen over the board, these are a few of the most common
We should note that what "the most common" consists of may be very different if you're a woman than if you're a man, which was, in part , the point of the piece which sparked this thread in the first place.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com