5 Minutes on the Clock

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex McFarlane

Re: 5 Minutes on the Clock

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

Someone else can keep score - but not on the same scoresheet. The player then gets his own 'official' scoresheet up to date after the time control.
There is nothing to say it must be the opponent's scoresheet which is used. Often it is the arbiters but it could be any which is used in the updating.
Players will often use the opponent's scoresheet to update theirs when they think they have made the required number of moves but the flag has not fallen. Here, as an arbiter, I would not allow the 'friends' recording to be used until the flag had fallen, but nor would I insist that the opponent had to hand over his scoresheet before a flag fall (either flag!).
The player can update his scoresheet from memory on the opponent's time. By this I mean it is acceptable to fill in missing moves at any time before it becomes necessary to do so. It is common for a player to try to get his scoresheet up to date if the opponent appears to be taking a long think even if the required number of moves have not been made.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Can an arbiter confirm what should be done in the situation where both players are in time trouble and someone else records the move up to the time control? Is this acceptable and in whose time should the players update their scoresheets once the time control is reached (should they politely take turns)? [In practice, both players will be so relieved to make the time control, they won't care much.]

Ted Black

Post by Ted Black » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Someone else can keep score - but not on the same scoresheet
That makes sense to me!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Martyn Harris wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:22 am
For an intermediate time control, having someone keep score on your behalf relieves you of the need to update your scoresheet in the prescribed fashion - I'm considering here the practice of the player handing his scoresheet over to a recorder rather than the situation where the recorder keeps score on a separate sheet.
Ted Black wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am
For example, say the TC is 30 moves in 75 minutes followed by 15 minutes RP finish. Player A gets into time trouble and has less than 5 minutes left to make 10 moves say. Player B has over 30 minutes remaining at this point. Player A no longer writes the moves down, as he is allowed to, and player B continues to write the moves down, as he is obliged to under the rules.

Player A makes the TC at 30 moves, so both players have an extra 15 minutes, and he must now update his scoresheet, as he must do under the rules, in his OWN time, using player B's scoresheet.

Therefore, if player A had had someone scoring the moves for him whilst he was not obliged to do so himself, then he does not have to catch up with the moves on his scoresheet in his OWN time, which I think means he has gained an advantage he is not entitled to. He no longer has to use his OWN time to update his scoresheet, which might make a difference to the outcome of the game.
Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am
Someone else can keep score - but not on the same scoresheet. The player then gets his own 'official' scoresheet up to date after the time control.
I agree with all the above.

In my initial post, I wasn't as clear as Alex has now been.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:57 pm
Can an arbiter confirm what should be done in the situation where both players are in time trouble and someone else records the move up to the time control? Is this acceptable and in whose time should the players update their scoresheets once the time control is reached (should they politely take turns)? [In practice, both players will be so relieved to make the time control, they won't care much.]
Normally it would be the arbiter's scoresheet which was used. NCR duplicate scoresheets are very useful here, as you can give a copy to each player.

The clocks are paused until both scoresheets are up to date. See Law 8.5.1, quoted by Ted up thread.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Thank you David. I should have read that more closely. The laws are usually very clear when they are consulted!