Fluo Chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Fluo Chess

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:21 am

Having come across these people a couple of days ago, I wondered if anybody else has been getting ads for their products, or has even (God forbid) bought any of them. Come to that, does anybody have any idea who they are?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Fluo Chess

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 am

The author could argue that the English can transpose into the QGD! Which side does he think is winning? I'm not inspired and will seek to perfectionate my game by other means...

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Having thought a bit more on this, there is a bit of a tradition of opening books/booklets which are just database dumps. Worse are the ones which give about 12 moves MCO style, then say "and 1-0 in 36 moves" or "+-". You scratch your head wondering how white is better, then discover that black blundered in an equal (or better) position on move 35.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:33 pm
Having thought a bit more on this, there is a bit of a tradition of opening books/booklets which are just database dumps.
Well there was Trends, but even then you could get at least some informed comment by people who knew what they were on about (for instance I have one on the Closed Lopez by Bogdan Lalic in which he passes comment on all one hundred of the games). And they didn't really pretend to be anything they weren't.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:34 pm

"Well there was Trends, but even then you could get at least some informed comment by people who knew what they were on about (for instance I have one on the Closed Lopez by Bogdan Lalic in which he passes comment on all one hundred of the games)."

Indeed, and his comments are worth listening to.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:12 pm

There was a series called SI editrice, or something like that, which was utterly useless.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Oh, that rings a bell. I think I have one of those, can't remember the subject offhand.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com