Message from CJ de Mooi

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Message from CJ de Mooi

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:08 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:22 pm
I also wouldn't mind some kind of detailed and credible explanation of why he is in financial trouble
Didn't he get hit for two sets of legal costs? There was what I think was the self inflicted one of seemingly admitting to killing someone that was made in the serialisation of his biography which triggered extradition action from the Dutch police. There was also an allegation of sexual assault which may have caused the BBC to drop his TV appearances. Perhaps there were also legal costs defending that one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tclub.html

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:38 pm

to spell it out cj has the big A word - it is a killer and Justin has no right to is medical records. it is not nice at all and i'm not going to air in public my experience of dealing with this type of situation.

my father has inoperable big C so i'll rather spend time with him than playing chess.

as for myself i have the big D as in Diabetes which is a killer too - i'm half the man i used to be, it makes me grumpy and having to leave the board 2-3 times per hour - that's on top of the 60 hours a week at work.

i think it is sad news too john - thanks for the original post.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:45 pm

I am tempted to close this one off too and just wish him well.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Before Carl wisely closes it off,

"The only point I find interesting is his claim that his book was misquoted on Wikipedia. I certainly don't intend to buy it to check, but has anyone here actually read it?"

I have read the book (some time ago), basically he said he was attacked, defended himself, in the course of which the assailant entered a canal, probably unwillingly. CJ then ran off, which seems not only entirely sensible, but is also the recommended action.

I think that books serialized in newspapers only represent the interests of the newspaper and the publisher of the book. I doubt the author has any input.

CJ is a controversial figure, but he has been nice to me, and I wish him well.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm
I think that books serialized in newspapers only represent the interests of the newspaper and the publisher of the book. I doubt the author has any input.
These are the contemporary reports.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/short ... d-somebody
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/egg ... ed-6395053

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:59 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Even if this were the case, it is perfectly possible for an author to say so, if he thinks a serialisation of his book has misconstrued him, e.g. the quotes attributed to him in the Mirror piece have been made up. As opposed, say, to pretending it is something to do with Wikipedia.
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
I don't wish CJ any ill, but I don't - from really quite a lot of experience - see any particular reason to take his word on trust, all the more so when he's asking for money. And I do, very much, wish that people in the chess community would get out of the habit of thinking that whether somebody has been nice to them personally has anything to do with anything where their credibility is concerned.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:06 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:08 pm
Didn't he get hit for two sets of legal costs? There was what I think was the self inflicted one of seemingly admitting to killing someone that was made in the serialisation of his biography which triggered extradition action from the Dutch police. There was also an allegation of sexual assault which may have caused the BBC to drop his TV appearances. Perhaps there were also legal costs defending that one.
Well, who knows? If you read the fundraiser it says the money is for CJ's solicitor (in relation to which case or cases?) but it's not actually CJ who set it up, so maybe that's not quite right. Especially since according to his video account (and the earlier ones) and other complaints elsewhere he is being pursued by a law firm called Freeths (i.e.somebody else's solicitor) who may be attempting to seize his house in lieu of payment of their costs, incurred while representing someone in legal conflict with CJ. They seem to be claiming £76k and the idea seems to be (from reading down CJ's Twitter account, some of which is posted by "Joe", which may or may not be CJ himself) to make them an offer rather than go to court and either party risk losing everything or getting nothing.

But there's a lot of "seems" in there and without more, or indeed any real detail, you can't tell at all whether CJ is being intimidated by try-it-on lawyers, or properly pursued for costs he should be liable for, or anything in between. (Also, is this a good question?) Maybe things like this are better handled with some kind of clear explanatory documentation, timeline and all.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 am

"And I do, very much, wish that people in the chess community would get out of the habit of thinking that whether somebody has been nice to them personally has anything to do with anything where their credibility is concerned."

I don't think that at all. One arbiter was very helpful to me when I started, for which I am grateful. I subsequently discovered he was a liar and a cheat, and when he was investigated following an incident, he bribed the investigators sufficiently well to be cleared. I am still grateful for his earlier help. I am sure you will agree that this is preferable to obsessively attacking individuals.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 am

I guess what I think is preferable is applying our critical faculties, and all the more so when we are talking about people with a track record. If our community did this as a matter of habit, we might not have had to suffer the whole procession of bridge salesmen and wallet inspectors we've seen just in the last decade or so, and Lord it is not as if any of them have had to try too hard.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 am

I don't see how CJ can be short of cash- there are pub quizzes pretty much every night of the week and he would be a one man army in all but the most elite events
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:37 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:

Don't worry, he's fine
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:09 am

Beating 3 hours is impressive.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:48 pm

A post was deleted.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:57 pm

Alan Turing did a similar time for the Marathon (2h 46m), but he was much younger. Admittedly, it was a long time ago and times have improved.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 am

You can't beat him, but you can cheat him... for a while.
seventh-seal-1957-002-max-von-sydow-chess-00m-g2d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.