Mueller Report

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Mueller Report

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 pm

At p150 of Vol 1of 2 of the recently issued Mueller report regarding the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 US Presidential Election there is a reference to the Carlsen-Karjakin match in New York.

"Later that day, Dmitriev flew to New York, where Peskov was separately traveling to attend the chess tournament. Dmitriev invited Nader to the opening of the tournament and noted that, if there was "a chance to see anyone key from Trump camp," he "would love to start building for the future.'' Dmitriev also asked Nader to invite Kushner to the event so that he (Dmitriev) could meet him. Nader did not pass along Dmitriev 's invitation to anyone connected with the incoming Administration. Although one World Chess Federation official recalled hearing from an attendee that President-Elect Trump had stopped by the tournament, the investigation did not establish that Trump or any Campaign or Transition Team official attended the event. And the President's written answers denied that he had."

At Appendix C p9 questions for Donald Trump were:

"Contacts with Russia and Russia-Related Issues During the Transition
a. Were you asked to attend the World Chess Championship gala on November 10, 2016? If yes, who asked you to attend, when were you asked, and what were you told about about why your presence was requested?
i. Did you attend any part of the event? If yes, describe any interactions you
had with any Russians or representatives of the Russian government at the
event."

Trump's response at Appendix C p23 was:

"I do not remember having been asked to attend the World Chess Championship gala, and I did not attend the event. During the course of preparing to respond to these questions , I have become aware of documents indicating that in March of 2016, the president of the World Chess Federation invited the Trump Organization to host, at Trump Tower, the 2016 World Chess Championship Match to be held in New York in November 2016. I have also become aware that in November 2016, there were press inquiries to my staff regarding whether I had plans to attend the tournament, which was not being held at Trump Tower. I understand these documents have already been provided to you."

John McKenna

Re: Mueller Report

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm

I'll just add a bit of a wider chessical and cultural background to Chris' heavyweight political topic by a few reminders from those two pillars of their, respective, communities Chessbase and the BBC...

There's previous form -

https://en.chessbase.com/post/trump-kra ... unge-benko

A BBC radio drama about it -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00029g9

A different "Trump and chess" controversy -

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-forme ... -president

Of course everything to do with Trump is as clear as mud but nobody can make the mud stick to the man himself.