drunk french super gm Forfeits game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: drunk french super gm Forfeits game

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Ian Lamb wrote:susan polgar blog its from http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/
Thanks Yoda :wink:

Now we know where the article originated we can ask what ... ‘timed run-out’ ... means exactly.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I even wonder whether he knocked out Morozevich in the FIDE versions of the World Championships in India in 2000 (before losing to Anand?)

His queen sac against Watson in Lloyds Bank 1993 (or was it 1994?) is a must-include for all collections of tactical puzzles - the queen sac is followed by a move which is not check but still leads to unavoidable mate.

But to what extent is he "truly" French? - judging from an old piece in KINGPIN by Tony Kosten, it used to be unclear whether he lives more over there or back in Russia. (And the Cannes/Nice area seems to be a favourite holiday resort for Russians, in particular). Originally he was even from Kazakstan, just to confuse things further.

Incidentally this story is now on the sports pages of today's Guardian!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Now we know where the article originated we can ask what ... ‘timed run-out’ ... means exactly.
Other reports suggest that the move rate was 90 30 and that he lost on time. So the articles should have said "time ran out". Perhaps it was a misheard verbal report. I've seen the phrase "left a piece on freeze" where an interview was transcribed by a non-player.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Then original source http://www.indianexpress.com/news/drunk ... /512679/is from a news item in an Indian paper, so it seems quite natural they should try to explain it to non-chessplaying readers by a cricket simile.

Nigel Short has again started the tournament in fine form, three impressive wins then a draw with the teenage Azsri Eltaj Safarli, who beat David Howell in a marathon endgame at the 2008 World Junior. Short is tied for the lead on 3.5/4, while top seeded Shak Mamedyarov lost to a Vietnamese in round 4.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Incidentally this story is now on the sports pages of today's Guardian!
Why are they going to punish a player who get's chess into the broadsheets !?
Chess Amateur.

Ola Winfridsson

Post by Ola Winfridsson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:37 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Tkachiev is actually an articulate and personable guy. I remember meeting him at the 1994 Intel rapidplay in London and found him very intelligent. From memory, he gave Kasparov some trouble in their games. He was French champion 2006, European champion 2007. See the interview below for his better side.
http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2095
However he seems to have a drink problem, as this isn't the first incident. At the 2008 Olympiad he defaulted his game against Azerbaijan and teammates said they hadn't seen him for several days.
I've sort of gathered that he has a drink problem (which of course wouldn't be the first time for a chess player), but I had no idea it was that bad. Missing for several days at an Olympiad and falling asleep at the board due to inebriation is quite serious.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:48 pm

If he has a drink problem, then it may well be that if they try to discipline him he can argue the case of discrimination on the grounds of disability !

What with "duty of care" and the latest Human-Rights laws - the no-win no-fee lawyers would have a field day :D
Chess Amateur.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Peter Rhodes wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Incidentally this story is now on the sports pages of today's Guardian!
Why are they going to punish a player who get's chess into the broadsheets !?
No one is going to read that and think "Hmm. Maybe I should take up chess?" In fact, all non-chess players are just going to laugh when they read it.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Peter Rhodes wrote:If he has a drink problem, then it may well be that if they try to discipline him he can argue the case of discrimination on the grounds of disability !
He can argue the case, but I suspect he'd lose. (Would any of our resident lawyers like to comment on this one? They'll know the relevant laws better than me.)

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:58 pm

As far as Im aware alcohol dependency is not classed as a disability in itself unless there is some underlying cause such as depression.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Personally I Love Vlad, he is a true legend amongst my 4ncl team
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Love you chess twits, drunk at the board = drink problem? Perhaps you can think outside your accounting desks for a second and see chess as a social event for many people social events for some have binge drinking and just maybe this is why this occured.
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:05 pm

Ben Purton wrote:Love you chess twits, drunk at the board = drink problem? Perhaps you can think outside your accounting desks for a second and see chess as a social event for many people social events for some have binge drinking and just maybe this is why this occured.
A player of Tkachiev's strength is almost certainly a professional player, and is likely to have been getting conditions for playing in an event like this. In which case, he was drunk while at work, which I would normally see as evidence of a drink problem.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Deary me, Ive been drunk many a time at work and at chess.

ben

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: Other reports suggest that the move rate was 90 30 and that he lost on time. So the articles should have said "time ran out".
I wondered if that was it ... but losing on time is hardly rare is it?