Teaching chess to blind people

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Teaching chess to blind people

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 am

Hello. How can chess be taught to blind people?

Steven DuCharme
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 pm
Location: West Bend,WI USA

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Steven DuCharme » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 am

1. Tell them about the board (mentioning square colors optional) including algebraic coordinates. 2. Identify pieces and their movements and starting squares. 3. Explain checkmate as well as you can.

I now hand this off to the next person to add their advice. Hope your student(s) have a great chess life
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

Steven DuCharme
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 pm
Location: West Bend,WI USA

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:44 am

Please keep us informed. tyvm
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am

So only these elementary lessons are different from ordinary people?

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am
So only these elementary lessons are different from ordinary people?
That is not a good choice of word. It would be better to refer to "sighted people".

Steven DuCharme
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 pm
Location: West Bend,WI USA

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Steven DuCharme » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I've changed my mind. Start with K v. K and gradually add the other chessmen. Piece out :)
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen:

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2813
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 am
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 am
So only these elementary lessons are different from ordinary people?
That is not a good choice of word. It would be better to refer to "sighted people".
Oh, ok.
The difference is just with the elementary lessons?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 18188
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am

The difference is just with the elementary lessons?
With the right tools, does anything need to be different? In the UK at least, the visually handicapped players utilise touch sensitive pieces and boards, chess books translated to Braille and text to speech on software.

Chris Ross
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Chris Ross » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 am
Hello. How can chess be taught to blind people?
Apologies, but advice and “notions” given on this thread are highly inaccurate.

I would strongly recommend the OP to contact the Braille Chess Association for further guidance:
http://www.braillechess.org.uk

Furthermore, the association will be able to support with resources, equipment and coaching facilities.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 3519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 pm

Chris Ross wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 am
Hello. How can chess be taught to blind people?
Apologies, but advice and “notions” given on this thread are highly inaccurate.

I would strongly recommend the OP to contact the Braille Chess Association for further guidance:
http://www.braillechess.org.uk

Furthermore, the association will be able to support with resources, equipment and coaching facilities.
Chris, you may not be aware that the OP is an Iranian living in his own country.

That may affect your advice.

Chris Ross
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Teaching chess to blind people

Post by Chris Ross » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:41 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Chris Ross wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:15 am
Hello. How can chess be taught to blind people?
Apologies, but advice and “notions” given on this thread are highly inaccurate.

I would strongly recommend the OP to contact the Braille Chess Association for further guidance:
http://www.braillechess.org.uk

Furthermore, the association will be able to support with resources, equipment and coaching facilities.
Chris, you may not be aware that the OP is an Iranian living in his own country.

That may affect your advice.
I haven’t offered any advice. I merely pointed out that the “advice” and “facts” previously expressed on this thread were highly inaccurate, yet alone inappropriate.

Despite the geographical location of the OP, the BCA will be more than prepared to offer guidance and support in regards to visually impaired chess players, regardless of their nationality. That is, after all, one of the principal objectives of the association.
Hence, why I signposted to their website as an initial resource.

Post Reply