Search for a game

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alan Ruffle

Search for a game

Post by Alan Ruffle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Dear All
I am seeking a game......possibly am early Kasparov game.

Kasparov forces a draw when in a losing position.

Only pawns are on the board all are unable to move...……...The king can not move ie it is trapped and if it moves it is in check...…..Kasparov harasses the opposition King by checking it with his only piece a Rook...……..If the King takes the Rook its a draw.

Thank you

Alan Ruffle

Simon Rogers

Re: Search for a game

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:04 am

Alan Ruffle wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm
Dear All
I am seeking a game......possibly am early Kasparov game.

Kasparov forces a draw when in a losing position.

Only pawns are on the board all are unable to move...……...The king can not move ie it is trapped and if it moves it is in check...…..Kasparov harasses the opposition King by checking it with his only piece a Rook...……..If the King takes the Rook its a draw.

Thank you

Alan Ruffle
Hi Alan
I'm guessing it was before his World Championship games against Karpov?

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Dear Simon
It is over a year since I submitted this post. There have been no other replies, which in fairness I did not expect. Thank you anyway.
I received a message from Carl that your response had come in which is a testification to the efficiency of this forum.
My request to trace this game which I am certain is an early Kasparov game is because although this is a routine Grand Master game!!!!!! The ending is terrific and a clear lesson for any chess player to follow.
A hard-factual undeniable tactical circumstance, that demand to be known and played correctly. The bread and butter of the serious chess player.
The reason this game is important to me is because I have written a book “The Chess Scene”. See Adverts also on this forum, and It fits the criteria of the book exactly. Unfortunately, I failed to trace the game and so I was unable to include it
The good news is that I was playing in a tournament at Preston last year and low and behold I saw this ending being played in real time. Davies v Wicks refers. This is ear marked for the follow up “The Chess Scene TWO”. This ideal for this book but I would still like to find and include the Kasparov game.
Cheers
Alan Ruffle

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 am

It wasn't this game was it?

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1067317

No pawns though!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:21 am

Wow! What a game!

Sadly today, some sour git would claim such brilliancy was computer cheating.

I would love to see that game annotated by someone more competent than myself...!

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:31 am

Dear James
Terrific thank you!
This game achieves 100% the point I was trying to make. I will use this game in “The Chess Scene TWO”
It is not the game I was looking for………..The game I saw had the Rook harassing the King all over the board…………With the King being unable to take the Rook.
Once again thank you and I will see you get a book.
Cheers
Alan

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:44 am

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:48 am

Alan Ruffle wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:31 am
It is not the game I was looking for………..The game I saw had the Rook harassing the King all over the board…………With the King being unable to take the Rook.
There's a Keith Arkell game where it appears he rewrites the theory that Rook and two connected passed pawns win against a Rook. In practice there's a cheapo you have to be aware of if with the extra material you use a Zugswang process.

The whole game