Running a FIDE rated RP tournament ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Running a FIDE rated RP tournament ?

Post by John Upham » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm considering running a one day rapidplay on September 14th to be both ECF graded and FIDE rated.

What are the specific requirements for a FIDE rp event to have six rounds in one day ?

Bullet point answers would be welcome !
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

LawrenceCooper

Re: Running a FIDE rated RP tournament ?

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm

John Upham wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm
I'm considering running a one day rapidplay on September 14th to be both ECF graded and FIDE rated.

What are the specific requirements for a FIDE rp event to have six rounds in one day ?

Bullet point answers would be welcome !
https://www.fide.com/component/handbook ... ew=article

1.3 For a game to be rated on the Rapid list, each player must have more than ten minutes but less than sixty minutes.

3.1 There must be no more than 12 hours play in one day. This is calculated based on games that last 60 moves, although games played using increments may last longer.

13.1 To be included in the FRL or FIDE Rapid/Blitz Rating Lists, a player must be registered through a national chess federation which is a member of FIDE. The Federation must not be temporarily or permanently excluded from membership.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 pm

There are further requirements for the Organiser (numbered, because that's easier than bullet points):

1. The arbiters must all have a FIDE Licence. If they don't, then so long as they are ECF Level 1 Arbiters or higher, they are eligible to be licensed upon request to the Manager of Arbiters.

2. The ECF charges FIDE-rated Rapidplays as much as they charge ECF-graded Rapidplays only; i.e. FIDE-rating is a free additional benefit.

3. If you are running it with juniors in mind, note that you have to stick to 2 illegal moves losing, and have no flexibility to change this.

4. You need to submit the ECF calendar entry, including the FIDE part, at least 7 days before the event is due to take place. The rating report, in your case, must be submitted to the IRO before 27th September in order for it to be included in the rating list published on 30th September. Clearly, the earlier you can get it in the better. (Note: The rating report and grading report are two different files, and must be submitted separately.)

5. You need to make sure everyone who plays in the tournament has a FIDE ID before the tournament starts. If they do not have a FIDE ID, but have disclosed on the entry form that they wish to appear on the FIDE rating list under England, then an ID can be created for them at the time the rating file is submitted to the ECF.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 pm
5. You need to make sure everyone who plays in the tournament has a FIDE ID before the tournament starts. If they do not have a FIDE ID, but have disclosed on the entry form that they wish to appear on the FIDE rating list under England, then an ID can be created for them at the time the rating file is submitted to the ECF.
For those players who do not have FIDE IDs you need to collect their dates of birth and include these in the TRF16 (done for you automatically if you enter them in the correct place in Swiss Manager). This is required for FIDE registration.

Alex, if he has a player who has a FIDE ID through having registered through Arena, FIDE's online playing area, what should he do? Such a player will be already registered with FIDE but marked as "unregistered".
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm

John, most players will not want 12 hours playing especially if 2 hours each way travelling.

8 hours including fifteen minutes between rounds seems fine.

Wishing you all the best if you go ahead with September 14th.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm
John, most players will not want 12 hours playing especially if 2 hours each way travelling.

8 hours including fifteen minutes between rounds seems fine.
To be clear, the time between rounds doesn't count anyway.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 pm
Alex, if he has a player who has a FIDE ID through having registered through Arena, FIDE's online playing area, what should he do? Such a player will be already registered with FIDE but marked as "unregistered".
What an excellent question! When Online let Nick and I know the answer, I'm sure we'll share it.

There are only ever a handful of these per year across all the rated tournaments in England. They always cause a nuisance; not because solving it one way or the other is difficult, but because it's a hassle that needn't exist. Just write to me and we'll get it sorted if the player wants to be ENG.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm clear on that. I want to support John on his venture. Length and expense of an entire day is a consideration.
twenty five minutes plus five second increments is fine in my opinion and many others. Organisers may have issues in getting 12 plus hour lets.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm
twenty five minutes plus five second increments is fine in my opinion and many others. Organisers may have issues in getting 12 plus hour lets.
I manage to run a 4-section 7-round Rapidplay in Birmingham between 1030 - 1830. Set up from 0800 on the morning, and we're out of the building at 1900. So that's an 11-hour booking.

Game/15 + 10' is the time limit - it's good enough for the European and World Rapidplay Championships, so it's good enough for us in Birmingham.