Direct correlation between ones chess grade and ones IQ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:03 am
There's a certain amount of scepticism about IQ tests in general but I'll leave this to one side in what follows. If I understand the basis behind these tests correctly, the typical IQ test - which is designed to measure IQs over the range which most commonly occurs in practice - is such that anyone with an IQ at or above the top of this range should score 100% or very close to 100%. Consequently, the typical IQ test won't differentiate between persons with IQs above this range. To measure IQs much above 145 or thereabouts (Cattell), I think you'll find a separate test is needed with harder questions and/or less time.
Quite so. But again: a score of 145 on the Cattell 3B (for example) is just that - a score - one that places you in the top two percentile. It doesn't mean that 145 is therefore your IQ. Those numbers are meaningless, being dependent on the test. It's only the percentile that signifies.
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Martin Crichton

Re: Direct correlation between ones chess grade and ones IQ?

Post by Martin Crichton » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:55 am

119 puts me in the borderline top 10%...happy enough with that :D first time I ever took an online test of any kind...(apart from a driving theory test 25 years ago which I passed easily...but I failed the main driving test...another story) but I would imagine the test is open to abuse...anyone could take the test dozens of times and use the best score...I understand MENSA and other approved bodies conduct supervised tests but there is a charge involved. The test link I posted is free and fun....and just a guide...maybe like a lie detector...not accurate in every case (except mine of course :wink: )
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.