Legitimate procedure in making a move?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: Legitimate procedure in making a move?

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 am
The "source of noise" example is relatively recent. I think it may have been aimed against bring very small children or babies to the board, but could equally apply to personal headphones , mobile phones, except they are covered elsewhere, or pets.
A few other "sources of noise" examples would be:

1. The player who has the habit of holding a captured piece in his hand and periodically banging it on the table while thinking about his move.
2. The player who likes making cat like noises while analysing the position.
3. Anyone who noisily unwraps or eats food or drink at the board.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am

If I play Qxd8+ and the only legal move is Kxd8, why not write it down? That doesn't insult the opponent, or constitute a "note" in my view, but Ian might be right. I did actually tell a very distinguished arbiter that I had done it, and he was amused. I don't advocate a change of Laws to deal with this case.

"Much to my surprise, the arbiter ruled that, as it was my opponent's move, my opponent could do what he liked with piece, so long as he eventually made a legal move with it."

I think the arbiter was wrong. Supposing you have K+P vs K and he takes all the pieces away?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am
I think the arbiter was wrong.
Of course he was wrong, and should be reported. He may claim a different version of events.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 am

This sort of thing happens at all levels of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puRR65UUKAs

I remember feeling outraged when Hikaru said Lev had no need to apologise to him!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 am

Nigel White wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:00 am
… so I asked the arbiter for clarification. Much to my surprise, the arbiter ruled that, as it was my opponent's move, my opponent could do what he liked with piece, so long as he eventually made a legal move with it.

From the responses above, I sense that most don't share this arbiter's view.
I certainly don't. I am reluctant to criticise fellow arbiters, but this one was completely wrong.

You are entitled to study the position even when it is not your move. You can't do that if your opponent has purloined one of the pieces.

Edit: Having now read to the end of the thread, I see that Kevin and Nick have said the same.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm
Heh. Is it insulting to write down your opponent's move before they make it if they only have one move they can make?
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:08 am
If I play Qxd8+ and the only legal move is Kxd8, why not write it down?
The opponent might prefer to resign. The score is a record of the moves that were actually played.

Whether or not it's insulting, it's certainly potentially distracting, and on its own terms unnecessary.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:13 pm

"... The score is a record of the moves that were actually played... "

There is, of course, an exception.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm

There are (at least) two exceptions? 1. illegal move and 2. (as on my scoresheets) where I sometimes omit a pair of moves, usually after my opponent has played something I wasn't expecting.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:07 pm

and draw claims...

In my Kxd8 example, I can always cross it out if he resigns. And I only did it in the first place to point out a curiosity in the Laws. My opponent wasn't there to be distracted.