Running a standard play tournament

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul McKeown

Running a standard play tournament

Post by Paul McKeown » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Richmond Juniors propose to hold a FIDE Standard Play (Stars Barred U2200) from Friday 6th - Sun 9th December.

I am putting together the entry form for the event, and thought it useful to check out what other organisers are doing.

So, I consulted Adam Raaof's Hampstead website for an example. On the entry fees page (http://hampsteadchess.blogspot.com/p/entry-fees.html) I noticed the following text:
Players who belong to a FIDE nation other than ENG (e.g. SCO or USA) don't need to belong to the ECF. HOWEVER you do need to quote your FIN (FIDE Identification Number) with your entry. Non-English players will have to obtain a FIN from their national federation or ask me, and I will do it for you. English players - please contact the ECF directly and obtain a FIN, then add that to the entry form.
Is that strictly necessary?

Does an English player really need to obtain a FIN from the ECF before taking part in a standard play tournament? In the various FIDE rated events that we run (mostly rapid, but also blitz and an occasional standard play), we have always just send in the FIDE rating report and by magic any players without a FIN get one provided.

Anyone able to help here?

Also what is the current rate of ECF vampiric feasting expressed in sterling for players taking part in a standard play who are neither members of the ECF, nor members of a foreign federation?

Michael Flatt

Re: Running a standard play tournament

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:47 pm

The relevant page on the ECF website is: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/pay-to- ... -game-fee/

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:00 pm

Does an English player really need to obtain a FIN from the ECF before taking part in a standard play tournament? In the various FIDE rated events that we run (mostly rapid, but also blitz and an occasional standard play), we have always just send in the FIDE rating report and by magic any players without a FIN get one provided.

It is not strictly necessary.

I suggest that you email David Clayton <[email protected]> and ask him whether he would prefer to allocate the FINs beforehand or leave them to be autogenerated from the report. I can see arguments both ways.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:34 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Richmond Juniors propose to hold a FIDE Standard Play (Stars Barred U2200) from Friday 6th - Sun 9th December.
Two points:

1. You might be unaware that this is likely to clash with the London Chess Classic festival, based on what is currently available here: https://www.londonchessclassic.com/ "The 11th London Chess Classic will run this year from November 29 to December 8 at its traditional home of the Olympia Conference Centre. The super GM tournament will be accompanied by the Festival, including a FIDE rated Open and other graded sections as in previous years. The team at Chess in Schools and Communities hope to organise another Super Blitz and Super Rapid."

2. Sunday is actually the 8th December.
Paul McKeown wrote:
Players who belong to a FIDE nation other than ENG (e.g. SCO or USA) don't need to belong to the ECF. HOWEVER you do need to quote your FIN (FIDE Identification Number) with your entry. Non-English players will have to obtain a FIN from their national federation or ask me, and I will do it for you. English players - please contact the ECF directly and obtain a FIN, then add that to the entry form.
I never create them in advance, and neither does the 4NCL, or just about any other event I'm involved with. It's a big time-saver to not generate them in advance for the person processing the result files (i.e. Dave), plus there is an insurance built in to prevent you creating a duplicate ID for someone that doesn't exist if you ask Dave to create them in advance. Enough events don't bother that I think you're safe to assume you don't need to here.

I'm afraid, unlike David, I can't see any argument for doing it getting the IDs created in advance. It just creates more work for everyone.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:19 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:34 pm
The link which you quoted states that "… the London Chess Classic Conference will take place on November 29-31..." (sic). Does that have any bearing on whether the date of the subsequent Sunday is 8th December or 9th December?

Alex Holowczak wrote:
I'm afraid, unlike David, I can't see any argument for doing it getting the IDs created in advance. It just creates more work for everyone.
Well, I prefer to create them in advance, but each according to his or her own.

I only suggested that David C should be asked which he found more convenient. As you say, he is the one who does the work.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:01 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:19 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
The link which you quoted states that "… the London Chess Classic Conference will take place on November 29-31..." (sic). Does that have any bearing on whether the date of the subsequent Sunday is 8th December or 9th December?
:lol:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks all for your prompt and helpful responses.

I guess I will scrap the idea of the inaugural Richmond Star Barred taking place at the start of December. This is a project that gets postponed every time it is attempted: there never seems to be a suitable time in the calendar!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm

The reason I include that paragraph is that Dave Clayton asked me to - it helps him a great deal to have FINs for everyone and it avoids any issues with players who have FINS that have expired, or which are not aligned to any FIDE nation. Theoretically I could accept an entry from a player as ENG without a FIN and they might change their mind later, or the ECF might not accept their registration at all.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:16 pm
Paul McKeown wrote:

It is not strictly necessary.

I suggest that you email David Clayton <[email protected]> and ask him whether he would prefer to allocate the FINs beforehand or leave them to be autogenerated from the report. I can see arguments both ways.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!