When have you ever been told that you can't go to a AGM

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Clarke

Re: When have you ever been told that you can't go to a AGM

Post by John Clarke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 pm

My club decided to tighten up on AGM procedures in the mid-1970s. No-one was prevented from speaking, but there was a two-minute time-limit on each contribution, obvious repetition was discouraged, and replies and comments had to be addressed to the chair, not the original speaker. Interruptions of whoever "had the floor" were firmly silenced, with of course a promise to allow that person their say later. The club newsletter issued shortly beforehand carried an article making all this very plain.

From memory, the last AGM without these strictures in place had gone on till nearly a quarter to eleven (not helped by one or two of those vexatious types, one of whom seemingly paid his membership fee solely so as to strut his stuff at AGMs). The first one under the new system was over by 10.00pm, and we even had time afterwards for some chess.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

JustinHorton

Re: When have you ever been told that you can't go to a AGM

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

John Clarke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:59 pm
not helped by one or two of those vexatious types, one of whom seemingly paid his membership fee solely so as to strut his stuff at AGMs
I thought every AGM had one and they were laid on, like refreshments
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com