CHESS magazine headlines

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

CHESS magazine headlines

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

While pondering on the cover of the September 2019 issue of CHESS magazine, I got to wondering how the magazine covered the previous titles won by Adams. I managed to track down the following reports:

[I can't find the 1989 CHESS coverage of Mickey's first British title - can anyone help? Was that featured on the cover?]

1997 - the coverage was in the October issue, and nothing on the covers of the September or October issue other than a line of text on the cover of the October issue saying "British Championship" (Harriet Hunt features in the photo, as she had won the World Girls Championship) - this was the year that Adams and Sadler shared the title, leading to an article criticising that decision in CHESS by Leonard Barden. The coverage for the years given below are all the September issues.

2010 - "A Canterbury Tale - Mickey Adams sweeps the board at the British Championships"
2011 - "Super Mickey Man of Steel" [held in Sheffield]
2016 - "Adams Annihilates"
2018 - "Ageless Adams"
2019 - "Awesome Adams"

It was the alliteration in the cover headlines used when reporting the past three titles that got me looking into this! I think there are a few more possibilities that can still be used in future if Adams continues to defend or win this title. :D

JustinHorton

Re: CHESS magazine headlines

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Malcolm's Magazine
Pein's Propaganda
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm

You might be interested in an article this month that is an extract from a book by two Spanish authors who included a chapter about B. H. Wood ("Mr Chess"). Though the English is understandable, it would have benefited from some editing for clarity as I think it was translated from Spanish or written by someone for whom English is not there first language. The extract is about B. H. Wood's travels to the tournaments held in Gijon, which are the main subject of the book.

This book here:

THE GIJÓN INTERNATIONAL CHESS TOURNAMENTS 1944-1965 by Luis Mendez Castedo and Pedro Mendez Castedo.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:26 pm

I am actually interested in that book though for rather different reasons: I'm keen to know what, if anything, it says about the chess community in Gijón at the start of that period and how it compared with the same community a decade or so beforehand.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:53 pm

After the Second World War, the Soviet Union sought to have Spain barred from FIDE. Barry Wood was the BCF Delegate at the time. He got up and mde a speech about Gens una Sumus. That was the last heard of the Soiet proposal. Thus Barry was always held in high esteem in Spain.
He would arrive at the border and 'our good friend, BH Wood, would be ushered traight through.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:22 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am
While pondering on the cover of the September 2019 issue of CHESS magazine, I got to wondering how the magazine covered the previous titles won by Adams. I managed to track down the following reports:

[I can't find the 1989 CHESS coverage of Mickey's first British title - can anyone help? Was that featured on the cover?]

1997 - the coverage was in the October issue, and nothing on the covers of the September or October issue other than a line of text on the cover of the October issue saying "British Championship" (Harriet Hunt features in the photo, as she had won the World Girls Championship) - this was the year that Adams and Sadler shared the title, leading to an article criticising that decision in CHESS by Leonard Barden. The coverage for the years given below are all the September issues.

2010 - "A Canterbury Tale - Mickey Adams sweeps the board at the British Championships"
2011 - "Super Mickey Man of Steel" [held in Sheffield]
2016 - "Adams Annihilates"
2018 - "Ageless Adams"
2019 - "Awesome Adams"

It was the alliteration in the cover headlines used when reporting the past three titles that got me looking into this! I think there are a few more possibilities that can still be used in future if Adams continues to defend or win this title. :D

If Michael was to have (by his standards) a poor tournament then the headline could be

202x - "Grizzly Adams"
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D