Would You Pay Extra to Win Prize Money?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Sedgwick

Re: Would You Pay Extra to Win Prize Money?

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:02 pm
We don't want any of that stuff! Also do away with leagues while you are about it.
No, don't do away with leagues, but do do away with Congresses. Then we can go back to having 100 board County Matches.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:02 pm
Generally in chess, if you want more entries, you should charge higher entry fees and give value for money.
I agree with that to the extent of good playing conditions and organisation. However, I do not regard other people getting large cash prizes as good value for my money, except possibly in that it persuades strong players to enter and then I may play against them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm

Another matter. For non professional, non aspiring players, instead of having prize money, offer trophies. I only thought of that for the British Championships after I ceased to be in charge. It makes most sense for ECF events as 20% of the entry fees go to the government in VAT.
The European Senior Chess Team Championship concluded yesterday. The chance of one of our three teams winning prize money was very remote. But we did win three individual medal. 65+ John Quinn silver on board 1. He was delighted. Brain Ewart won silver on the reserve board. 50+ Steve Mannion oops. Steve Ledger. Thank you DS) won bronze also on the reserve board.
Last edited by Stewart Reuben on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm
50+ Steve Mannion won bronze also on the reserve board.
I think that you mean Steve Ledger.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:32 pm
Another matter. For non professional, non aspiring players, instead of having prize money, offer trophies. I only thought of that for the British Championships after I ceased to be in charge. It makes most sense for ECF events as 20% of the entry fees go to the government in VAT.
The European Senior Chess Team Championship concluded yesterday. The chance of one of our three teams winning prize money was very remote. But we did win three individual medal. 65+ John Quinn silver on board 1. He was delighted. Brain Ewart won silver on the reserve board. 50+ Steve Mannion won bronze also on the reserve board.
Now on that we could reach agreement. I still have my Nottingham u14 trophy - though - telling a story against myself - at the time I was pretty miffed that the promised prize of 7s 6d had been used to buy it. I still remember the organiser (R G Thimann) answering me with the comment, "Well I think it's rather fine, Farthing!" with which, mainly out of deference, I hesitantly concurrred.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:43 pm
I was pretty miffed that the promised prize of 7s 6d had been used to buy it.
Michael Farthing wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:43 pm
I still remember the organiser (R G Thimann) answering me with the comment, "Well I think it's rather fine, Farthing!"
Maybe he said "Well I think it's a rather fine farthing!" which was actually not aimed at you, but his delight at the change he got back from his 7s 6d?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 pm

What a cynic! The thought had never crossed my mind. Mind you, the trophy is certainly finer than those issued to winners in the County Championship (sorry Alex, but it is). Anyway, if he's still with us and someone can give me his address I'll write and demand my 7s 5¾d

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 am

Michael, to save you the trouble of writing, Reg died - in 1985, I think. He left us with a book on the King's Gambit. I believe he was an entomologist.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 am
Michael, to save you the trouble of writing, Reg died - in 1985, I think. He left us with a book on the King's Gambit. I believe he was an entomologist.
That's interesting. When I first knew him he was studying for a PhD but gave it up to become an Inspector of Taxes. I remember asking him with incredulity why he had given up the PhD (something which, both then and now, I would have loved to do) and his response was that the PhD was 'boring'.
I think he was also possibly the first adult who as a 'child' I was on first-name terms with (other than with an introductory 'uncle' or 'auntie' - regardless of whether any actual relationship existed - a strange custom of the time). He must have died at an early age - indeed before his father, who I also knew since he was my French teacher.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 pm

When and where was this Michael? I can remember Reg Thimann as the Notts Junior Chess organiser.

Sorry to go off at a tangent btw.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:08 am

Neil,

1964-67. It was indeed Nottingham(shire). We used to play at the Boots Institute opposite Trent Bridge.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:27 am

"Another matter. For non professional, non aspiring players, instead of having prize money, offer trophies."

John Sargent used to give small trophies and cash prizes at his monthly rapidplays. I didn't think the strong players would like that, but a visiting IM enthusiastically received the trophy and said he was delighted as he had never won one before!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:22 pm
I came across a 1 day rapidplay entry form today with a single Open section that offered 2 levels of entry fee:

1. £19 - eligible to win prize money
2. £6 - ineligible for prize money

1st prize is £130; amount of 2nd and 3rd prizes dependent on entries; additional prizes dependent on entries.

Assuming you'd decided you wanted to play in the event which entry fee would you choose?
Which event was this?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:26 pm
Which event was this?
Basildon Rapidplay - https://britchess.wufoo.com/cabinet/ead ... 263d214106

Alison Bexfield

Post by Alison Bexfield » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:38 pm

I like tournaments that offer boxes of chocolates or bottles of wine as prizes. (This is what happens in go tournaments where entry fees are proportionately lower as a result). I accept prize money is important and a motivator at the top level but at amateur level I am playing for the entertainment value not the prize. And entry fees levels are important. Too high and it is not value for money,