End of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Re: End of an era

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:45 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 am
Anyway I note that Ray's so-called charity has got to the end of February without filing its accounts, something that would probably concern its independent examiner if they were independent and did any examining.
Hard to avoid noticing that Ray is the trustee of another, newly registered, charity [Outside in Pathways Ltd] so this era may not end soon.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 am

Oh that's a good spot, I hadn't realised they'd registered. Ray-watchers will recognise Julian Simpole of course, and perhaps the CEO too.

(They received £2500 from the Brain Trust in 2015-6, though this curiously failed to be listed as a "related-party transaction" in the accounts for that year.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 pm

"Having hit the giddy heights of number four as the singer/announcer of The Flying Lizards's "Money", Evans-Stickland left the bands ever-changing line-up, retrained as a psychotherapist and took time out to have a child. She also formed the band Deborah And The Puerto Ricans. Currently working helping people with learning difficulties, she still sings - recently appearing on an album by Richard X" - internet source, my underlining

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Also see. (I think this may be when I started taking an interest in the Brain Trust.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Hey, the Brain Trust accounts are finally out! Let's see if they say anything interesting. Some comments:

1. I note that there's now an actual independent examiner, replacing Ray's mate David Massey who was previously doing the job...

2. ...and that the mysterious Institute for Brain Chemistry has had twelve grand sent its way.

3. Obviously what stands out the most is the whacking six-figure sum donated to Ray's (and, at the time, Tony's) World Memory Championships, the charitable purpose of which eludes me.

4. As ever I am intrigued to know what constitutes "office costs" in an organisation which does not appear to have any office or other premises.

5. Keenologists will be pleased to see that Ray's habit of making careless errors has not deserted him: having listed Eric Schiller as deceased (albeit with the wrong date of birth) in the previous year's accounts

he appears to be alive and well in these ones.

Last edited by JustinHorton on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 pm

"4. As ever I am intrigued to know what constitutes "office costs" in an organisation which does not appear to have any office or other premises."

It may cover office-type things - you still have to contact people, maybe get printing/copying done etc, even if there is no physical office? Maybe office-type work is sub-contracted elsewhere? £30K is a lot of course...

I'm indebted to my good friend, Mr Google, who offers, "Office expenses can include electronic equipment, such as a computer, printer or fax machine. Office supplies also can include printer ink, paper clips, paper and staples. Furniture, such as a desk or chair, are considered office supplies if the item is used solely for the business."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm

I was prompted by David's note just to look in and see who Ray was promoting during lockdown. I confess that though I vaguely remember Professor Sikora

I'd never seen him connected with Ray before.

(What I like about this is the way that it combines a couple of Ray themes, one being dubious characters with links to Imperial College that don't exist, and the innovative employment of dogs.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com