Luke McShane - The Spectator

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Chris Rice

Luke McShane - The Spectator

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Great to see Luke as the new chess correspondent for The Spectator. Here is his first article Visky Business. It concentrates on Vitiugov's exit from the World Cup in his Armageddon game against Yu.

Luke states at the end: "It’s an honour to become The Spectator’s third chess columnist, after Raymond Keene and C.H.O’D. Alexander (who wrote under the pseudonym ‘Philidor’). I hope to prove as durable as my eminent predecessors."

Geoff Chandler

Re: Luke McShane - The Spectator

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi Chris,

This was mentioned here a few posts ago and I ambled along to my local newsagent to buy a a copy.

The £4.75 price tag is normally a no-no but I'm feeling flush having scored winners in a 8-1, 16-1 and 50-1 each way roll up.
The 50-1 was Alexanders Angels (yes picked because of C.H.O.D. who I later found out by coincidence used to write for the Spectator).

But it was too high brow for my newsagent, 'Hello', 'Now' and 'Celebs that have slept with dogs' is the usual stuff there.

By the time I found a place that sold the Spectator (ASDA!) the 'must have' feeling had worn off so instead I browsed it:

Made mental note to steal drawing a circle with a pencil metaphor for future use and happy to see Luke agreed with me
that Vitiugov got stuck in the Armageddon draw strategy.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/kibitzin ... 24&reply=4

A we wee chunter, Luke mentioned the prize but did not add that Vitiugov picked up a cool $35,000 for this loss.
(maybe he did but it fell foul to the editors red pencil, something Ray often complained about.)
Some 9-5 bod will be reading this on a late train home, '$35,000 for playing a game chess' and seek out their local chess club.

So instead I bought a fur lined Russian tank drivers style hat to keep the coming winter chill off my small bald spot.

In passing I hope Ray is OK health wise and he does not stop writing on chess - he keeps Justin in a job. :)

JustinHorton

Re: Luke McShane - The Spectator

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

In passing I hope Ray is OK health wise and he does not stop writing on chess
Think you might have missed the boat on that one
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com