Any chance of more cheap clocks for clubs from FIDE?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Brian Towers

Any chance of more cheap clocks for clubs from FIDE?

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:55 pm

This document on the FIDE website recently caught my eye. It is an invitation to tender for a clock contract.
FIDE wrote:1. Invitation to Bid (ITB)
FIDE is opening a bidding procedure for the following purposes:
1.1 to grant a right for certain models of chess clocks to be designated as a “FIDE
Championship Clock”,
1.2 to grant a right for certain models of chess clocks to be designated as an “Official
FIDE Chess Clock”,
1.3 to grant a right for certain models of chess clocks to be designated as a “Chess Clock
Recommended by FIDE for National Federations”.

2. General Provisions
2.5 The rights to use the FIDE logo and the clock designations as per Clause 2.3 above
shall be provided to the winner(s) in consideration for:
a) lump-sum payments to be made to FIDE for each model of the chess clocks that
are included in the bid;
b) royalties to be paid to FIDE for each wholesale or retail sale of chess clocks that
are included in the bid for the whole duration of the contract;
c) an obligation to supply chess clocks to FIDE and/or national chess federations at
a fixed price or/and with discount from the standard market price (royalties as per
subcl (b) hereof do not apply for such supplies).
According to a FIDE announcement from 23rd September:
FIDE wrote:FIDE is pleased to announce that, in compliance with the published Bidding Procedure, it completed the scoring of offers submitted for the chess clock contract tender. The winners have been determined, conditional on the manufacturers' signing binding contracts with FIDE.
Has anybody heard anything else about this?

Should clubs thinking of buying more clocks wait until they see the outcome of this process?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.