Pairing a Team Event

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Pairing a Team Event

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Do any of the commercial available pairing packages have the ability to pair team events ?

I am tasked with this in a couple of weeks and was wondering how I should deal with it compared with pairing an individual tournament in which I would use UTU Swiss.

Any help much appreciated.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Re: Pairing a Team Event

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Swiss Manager obviously does, as it is used for many team events from the Olympiad downwards.

However, I'm afraid that I'm too much of a technonumpty to give any useful help.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:26 pm

You can download a version of Swiss Manager which will allow you test it. It does three rounds before crashing.

I would certainly recommend a very good familiarisation with the package before using it at an event. It is certainly not instinctive eg if you wanted to pair two players whose opponents didn't turn up you don't go to manual pairing, you don't even go to computer pairing. Instead you go to set up new player! Obvious really!!!!

But that is an example of the things you might want to do at an event which you will fail to do if you haven't done it already.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:26 pm
I would certainly recommend a very good familiarisation with the package before using it at an event. It is certainly not instinctive eg if you wanted to pair two players whose opponents didn't turn up you don't go to manual pairing, you don't even go to computer pairing. Instead you go to set up new player! Obvious really!!!!
It makes perfect sense in the German version, apparently.