The difference between extrovert and introvert chess players.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Keith Arkell

Re: The difference between extrovert and introvert chess players.

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:35 pm
I was thinking earlier about the difference between an extrovert chess player and a chess player who is an introvert. I guess an extrovert player is fundamentally optimistic, always thinks he's winning, etc. An introvert is more analytical, and objective, and possibly pessimistic. Obviously it's hard to pin people down as some have all these characteristics.

Extrovert players include; Capablanca, Bronstein, Tal, Fischer, Kasparov, Kramnik, Svidler, Anand, Julian Hodgson, Judit Polgar, Simon Williams, Lawrence Trent, Manuel Bosboom, Colm Daly, etc. An illustrious list I'm sure you'd agree.

Introverts would include, Smyslov, Botvinnik, Karpov, Salov, Caruana, Ding, Michael Adams, David Howell, Keith Arkell, Gormally. Just as strong really. :lol:
As I'm flattered to be included in such a list of eminents ( it's like being invited to the IOM all over again!) the least I can do is contribute something: I kind of understand the distinction between the 2 sets of players, but am unsure of the labelling 'extrovert' and 'introvert'. In the real world I've been a gambler in my time, and generally taken huge risks economically, despite that in other areas I have been very cautious. Over the board I am indeed cautious and calculating. However, this is a practical decision - necessary because of the sheer volume of games I play. However, this does not mean that I am incapable of speculation / crazy moves / exhibition style chess.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:47 pm

It seems to me fairly obvious that those who are by nature extrovert are capable of behaving on occasion in an introvert manner and vice versa - one need look no further than the acting profession to see this is true. Extrapolating from there, we're all actors from time to time.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:09 am

Yeah it's just terminology, invented by people like Jung and Freud (and like a lot of their theories, probably doesn't have much scientific basis.)

I think it's pretty obvious though that some people are shy and awkward and that seems to come out in their chess, while the same could be said of outgoing confident types.

As somebody pointed out I came across as being very confident in the commentary, but that was an environment I was comfortable in. Deep down I'm quite a shy and introspective person.