Is This A Record?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Is This A Record?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm

What is the longest that is a piece other than the king? (Am having trouble accessing the pgn.)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm
What is the longest that is a piece other than the king? (Am having trouble accessing the pgn.)
Ah, I corrected the link for the PGN file.

The longest non-king sequence I found - but remember I only searched a subset of games - was 10 for these two games:

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 pm

I vaguely remember several years ago in the us championships some GM shuffling his bishop back and forth for many moves against nakamura . It got mentioned on chessbase at the time so perhaps was a record
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:09 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:18 pm

The longest non-king sequence I found - but remember I only searched a subset of games - was 10 for these two games:

This game looks like a crock to me.

EDIT: there are three games extant from this player from the same junior tournament. I can't decide whether he was just an extremely weak player or wherher he was fed up and messing about.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm by no means a CQL expert, but I have managed to run a search using CQL and a decent-sized database, looking for
  • sequences with a piece other than the king
  • of length 10+
  • starting before move 10

Most of them are pretty dull multiple repetitions. Of the ones that aren't, here's the best I found: 11 moves with the White queen starting with 5. Qb3 and ending with 15. Qa5+

There's also this 10-move effort from two very strong players:

[EDIT] Just realised that the first 9 of these are non-captures as well, which answers Tim's other question!

In case anyone's interested, the CQL code I used (I'm sure it can be done better!) was:

Code: Select all

cql (input sample.pgn)
ply<20 
piece multimover in [PRNBQprnbq]
sort "number of moves" line singlecolor 10 100 nestban 
--> (move from multimover)+
And there are a few more examples here

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 am

Angus French wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:41 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm
In one of my games at Hampstead over the weekend, White made six consecutive moves in the opening with the same piece.
The game is here: https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2020/02/ ... ecord.html
Unfortunately I have been unable to find anything on the internet to confirm or deny a record.
Would the game below - with 13 consecutive moves made by the same piece, starting on move 10 - count?

(To find the above game I wrote a program in Python using python-chess. The program finds games in a .pgn database which have 7 or more consecutive moves made by the same piece with the sequence starting before move 11. Qualifying games (numbering 106) from a search against the first 1,000,000 games in my main games database are here.)
It sure would count. Perhaps Berkley - Spanton can settle for most consecutive moves with the same piece in the opening with none of the moves forcing, ie none a check or a capture. Not much of a record, perhaps …

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/