Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Swain

Re: coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by John Swain » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm

There are some interesting observations, based on comments from a G.P., in the Sheffield and District Chess Association's advice: http://sheffieldchess.btck.co.uk/

Thanks are due to Steve Burke for drawing my attention to this advice.

Latest thoughts on coronavirus & Sheffield chess - March 3rd 2020

General Secretary Geoff Brown has been discussing the significance of the Coronavirus outbreak for our chess matches with GPs and Exec members, and has passed on the following comments:

"There is currently no guidance on the ECF or FIDE websites although, obviously, the situation worldwide is changing rapidly. Prompted by Alan Taylor and following a discussion with Geoff Frost, I sought some guidance from a GP that I know. His reply was that he didn't think we need a policy at this stage.
The advice that GPs have been given is:
1) if unwell with fever, cough and shortness of breath - inform Public Health England and isolate the patient if any contact with a confirmed case (so they shouldn't be turning up at chess matches).
2) if unwell with fever, cough and shortness of breath and has been to one of the at risk areas - isolate the patients and arrange testing for coronavirus (so they shouldn't be turning up at chess matches).
3) if unwell with fever, cough and shortness of breath and has had contact with a confirmed case - isolate the patient, inform Public Health England and arrange testing for coronavirus (so they shouldn't be turning up at chess matches). In terms of not shaking hands - that is one option, but the pieces are just as much a risk for transfer. Some clubs have wooden pieces so it wouldn't be easy to clean them properly too.
If things were really bad we'd have to cancel the matches....but if things got a little worse we could also have little bottles of alcohol gel to wash our hands with periodically. As long as hands are washed before touching the face the risk of spread is reduced. If there is any relevant advice from Public Health England (for chess) I'll pass it on to you.
We're not at the stage where we have to cancel or postpone matches never mind the league."
Last edited by John Swain on Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm

John Swain wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm
There are some interesting observations, based on comments from a G.P., in the Sheffield and District Chess Association's advice: http://sheffieldchess.btck.co.uk/

Latest thoughts on coronavirus & Sheffield chess - March 3rd 2020

General Secretary Geoff Brown has been discussing the significance of the Coronavirus outbreak for our chess matches with GPs and Exec members, and has passed on the following comments:

"There is currently no guidance on the ECF or FIDE websites although, obviously, the situation worldwide is changing rapidly.
I guess Geoff hasn't been paying attention to the FIDE site or this forum as their is a lot of advice from FIDE. Though I feel I have to agree with the lack of information on the ECF site as they don't appear to have made any public statements.

R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:54 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:11 pm
Daniel Gormally wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:17 pm
I think you only need to see the state of the toilets at some chess events to get a feel for the level of hygiene.
I often give advice to people going for job interviews that they should use the company toilets with the view that the level of hygiene is often a very good indicator of how they will treat their staff.
Last tournament I played in, the toilets were full of people on their phones. Weird.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:43 pm

soap where a shared bar may not be hygienic.
I woke up this morning to news of a new case in the next station along.
my nurse may ask me at 830 how am I/
I'm in the diabetes/asthma risk group and public transport do not have good deep cleanses.

Weird. why are Aussies stockpiling loo roll

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:56 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 am
Looks like Bangkok Open may well be cancelled this year according to Nigel Short
Confirmed as postponed, maybe until October, by the organisers - http://bangkokchess.com/.
I will confirm that is the case.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:23 am

Do we have outbreaks of duvel, leffe, budweiser, newcastle brown and guinness as well does anyone know?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:25 am

I heard a heavy session of heineken outbroke in a pub in hastings with Capablanca caught up in it. Is it true?

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

The Junior Team Chess Challenge, which was scheduled for Sunday 29 March at Scarborough College, has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Juniors ... challenge/

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm
John Swain wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm
"There is currently no guidance on the ECF or FIDE websites although, obviously, the situation worldwide is changing rapidly.
I guess Geoff hasn't been paying attention to the FIDE site or this forum as their is a lot of advice from FIDE. Though I feel I have to agree with the lack of information on the ECF site as they don't appear to have made any public statements.
They have now (https://www.englishchess.org.uk/coronavirus-guidance/), although it's just general guidance with nothing specific to chess.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Surrey CCA has produced some advice, particularly in relation to County Chess, which can be seen on the Battersea club website.

Nick Grey

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 pm

my nurse was scathing of the man who knew he was infected going into a large school. A lot are attached to my Surgery.

The specific instruction to County Chess plus school open on 11/3 is ok.

1000s in UK die from flu every year - no solution
plenty of winter sniffles.

Seen too many masks - nothing but a waste of money.

Lets hope France lose a 6 nations match so another team wins in October.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:39 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:18 pm
[The ECF have made a public statement] now (https://www.englishchess.org.uk/coronavirus-guidance/), although it's just general guidance with nothing specific to chess.
Mike Gunn wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:02 pm
Surrey CCA has produced some advice, particularly in relation to County Chess, which can be seen on the Battersea club website.
The English Bridge Union's guidance, issued three weeks ago, can be found at https://www.ebu.co.uk/node/3696.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm

Reykjavik Open was cancelled tonight. Anish Giri commented "When Reykjavik Open is cancelled, you know the s*** just got real. "

Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:19 am

The s**t hasn’t got real; the hysteria has got real is all

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
I don't see Grenke as cancelled, at least not yet:
Grenke statement of 3 March:
The organisation of the GRENKE Chess Open & Classic is aware of the Corona virus and we keep a close eye on further developments. We will keep you informed.