Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 pm

I think there’s a ‘Cobra’ meeting tomorrow and then the delay phase may well start...

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:45 pm

The problem with the 4ncl is if they cancel the next weekend I guess they are done for the year, unless they can somehow rearrange it at a later point. I don't see how they could hold the final weekend without confirming the final standings for the relegation and championship pools first.

This whole thing looks like a disaster. sports events cancelled like the olympics, wimbledon, euro 2020 now looking likely.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 pm

Unless this thing blows out by the summer (and I think it will, or hope so) then events like the Olympiad and the British must very much be in doubt.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:59 pm

If they cancel the next weekend, then presumably the May weekend would become rounds 7-9, to deal with that very problem. You'd still have to figure out when to put rounds 10-11 in.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm

"In a bad position, all moves look bad" ...

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 pm
Since it is in no way confidential - indeed, captains are asked to forward it - here it is:
Mike Truran e-mail wrote: I should say that the decision to carry on or to cancel is not entirely within the 4NCL’s gift; Bridge Overseas have the contractual financial liability for the bedroom allocations at the various 4NCL venues and so we would need their and the hotels’ agreement in the first instance to cancel any weekends.

As regards accommodation, this from the Hotels page on the 4NCL website: “Rooms can be cancelled without charge up to five full working days before the weekend.”
That leaves me wondering what the position would be if the weekends go ahead, but with far fewer bedroom bookings than normal, e.g. most Division 4 teams choose not to take part.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 am

Matt B>Is there going to be the ‘delay’ phase shortly implemented by the government?<

That will be decided at a COBRA meeting later today, Thurs.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:45 pm
This whole thing looks like a disaster.
Yes, I think it is fair to categorise Covid-19 as a natural disaster. What's your point?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 am
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Since it is in no way confidential - indeed, captains are asked to forward it - here it is:
Mike Truran e-mail wrote: I should say that the decision to carry on or to cancel is not entirely within the 4NCL’s gift; Bridge Overseas have the contractual financial liability for the bedroom allocations at the various 4NCL venues and so we would need their and the hotels’ agreement in the first instance to cancel any weekends.

As regards accommodation, this from the Hotels page on the 4NCL website: “Rooms can be cancelled without charge up to five full working days before the weekend.”
That leaves me wondering what the position would be if the weekends go ahead, but with far fewer bedroom bookings than normal, e.g. most Division 4 teams choose not to take part.
There's a specific issue now for the 4NCL with today's announcement from the Republic of Ireland which closes schools, colleges etc until 29 March i.e. will Gonzaga be able to play the upcoming 4NCL weekend?

I'm assuming that Div 3N, which is a smaller gathering than the main 4NCL, will go ahead though
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm
Daniel Gormally wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:45 pm
This whole thing looks like a disaster.
Yes, I think it is fair to categorise Covid-19 as a natural disaster. What's your point?
Why do I need a point. I'm just making conversation, you prat.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:06 pm

Fair enough. Weather's better today, sun shining though still a bit chilly.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Can't blame Danny for feeling a bit under the weather.

Bojo is now making his statement reiterating that now familiar phrase - we will do the right thing at the right time.

Well, they can try.

David Murray

Post by David Murray » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:16 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:01 am
Jonathan Rogers wrote:

There's a specific issue now for the 4NCL with today's announcement from the Republic of Ireland which closes schools, colleges etc until 29 March i.e. will Gonzaga be able to play the upcoming 4NCL weekend?

I'm assuming that Div 3N, which is a smaller gathering than the main 4NCL, will go ahead though
For Gonzaga - schools in Ireland have been closed, but the airports are open. If things remain as they are, we'll be able to go.

We'll make a final decision shortly before the 4NCL weekend, if it hasn't been taken out of our hands by then.

Syringa Camp

Post by Syringa Camp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:05 am

We'll make a final decision shortly before the 4NCL weekend, if it hasn't been taken out of our hands by then.
I think that’s a key point. It may well be taken out of everyone’s hands in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime:

This morning Stuart Hamilton announced the cancellation of Rhyl Congress (May)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:55 am

Budapest Spring Festival now cancelled. From the organiser's e-mail:
On March 11, 2020, the Hungarian government declared a health emergency throughout Hungary.
As part of the extraordinary measures, all indoor sporting events where the combined number of competitors and other participants will reach 100 people will be banned from March 12, 2020!

Unfortunately, the measure also affects the Budapest Spring Festival International Chess Competition, which was planned to take place in Budapest from April 21 to April 29, 2020.
and
According to an extraordinary announcement made by the President of the Hungarian Chess Association on March 11, 2020, chess competitions and other chess events organized by the Hungarian Chess Association and its member organizations (such as the Budapest Chess Association organizing the Budapest Spring Festival) must be suspended until April 30, 2020.
The e-mail goes on to say that they hope to organise a replacement festival in the second half of August.

Anyone willing and able to travel to Budapest can still play chess though. László Nagy has announced that he will be running extra First Saturday style tournaments when the Spring Festival was due to take place.