Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Michael Farthing

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:50 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm
Michael Farthing wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:37 am
If I'm a member of such a gathering the problem will be less severe second time round: I fully intend to catch this virus and either die or become immune (well - until it mutates).
Please make sure that it is the second possibility. It would be inconvenient for the ECF to have to conduct another election for the Chairman of Council quite so soon.
Thanks David, the second possibility is my preferred option.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:01 pm

crikey, it's not like chicken pox, is it?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 pm

My father's funeral is on Monday. We have been told there maybe some signs but no additional tissues.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm

I'm told that next month's European Schools event in Crete has been postponed due to the coronavirus

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 pm

NICK GREY
CONDOLENCES
I wish you long LIFE (A Jewish expression)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Reykjavik Open was cancelled tonight.

Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
The question I'm now asking myself, having had my April tournament, and holiday, cancelled, is how long I should wait before entering something else. I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:37 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:15 pm
I'm told that next month's European Schools event in Crete has been postponed due to the coronavirus
Confirmed. FIDE & ECU have issued a joint statement postponing three events which were all to be held in Crete:

1. World Cadet & Youth Rapid & Blitz Chess Championships 2020
2. World Amateur Chess Championship 2020
3. European School Championships 2020.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:14 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Reykjavik Open was cancelled tonight.

Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
The question I'm now asking myself, having had my April tournament, and holiday, cancelled, is how long I should wait before entering something else. I don't want the same thing to happen again.
Without being rude I think we could all soon have bigger problems than worrying about whether or not we can have a holiday. I could be wrong though. :shock:

reminds me of that the walking dead comic when they say about how we take certain things for granted and how do we cope if that's taken away?

I should work for the daily mail lol :lol:

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Problem now sorted and no need for further tournaments to be cancelled:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:17 pm

I suppose it doesn't matter, if you are trying to see through such masks, but it seems to me it wasn't an 8x8 board with white on the right.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:17 pm
I suppose it doesn't matter, if you are trying to see through such masks, but it seems to me it wasn't an 8x8 board with white on the right.
Difficult to see clearly, but in its defence I think that captured pieces have been placed at the side of the board making it look like a 10x8 rather than an 8x8. That possibly corrects the orientation problem too?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:35 am

Motormouth has some advice for us
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 am

The MCF has been discussing this, and a player who is also a medical doctor has added notes in red in the attached document, with his main point being
Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth: this is likely to of greatest concern during chess matches as any glance at photos of chess players or when observing them, the “chess posture” when thinking about moves often involves rubbing eyes, hands over mouths etc etc. The virus on hard surfaces eg chess pieces will survive for a long period of time of up to 48 hrs at the extreme end.
We've already had a case of a player not wanting to shake hands, but happy to handle the pieces, including his opponents, which isn't entirely logical
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 am
We've already had a case of a player not wanting to shake hands, but happy to handle the pieces, including his opponents, which isn't entirely logical
This comment is the reason why it is better to have an announcement that shaking hands may be better avoided, so there is no implied criticism of anyone who chooses not to do it. It is at least plausible that a firm handshake is more likely to transmit the thing than picking up pieces that have been handled by the opponent and no doubt lots of other people.

I remember reading somewhere ( possibly Kingpin, so treat with care and apologies if it wasn't them ) that Ray Keene was once assisted in winning a British Championship by the fact that he had a disgusting cold and opponents were reluctant to capture his pieces.

Back to today, the symbolic act of flashing thumbs up may make it more likely that players will take this seriously and, for instance be more scrupulous about washing hands, during the game if necessary.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Thanks for the CONDOLENCES Stewart.
I am praying for all the UK senior chess players pulling out of tournaments or playing.

As for banning large scale events and OAPs from football and SAY Chess, I think that is a step too far in the UK.
UK Chess will fall apart without our OAPs.