Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Leonard Barden

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:13 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm
Update: Sharjah & Grenke gone as well.
I don't see Grenke as cancelled, at least not yet:
Grenke statement of 3 March:
The organisation of the GRENKE Chess Open & Classic is aware of the Corona virus and we keep a close eye on further developments. We will keep you informed.
Chris was right, just a touch premature:
https://en.chessbase.com/post/grenke-ch ... -cancelled

Syringa Camp

Post by Syringa Camp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:34 pm

** CANCELLED ** North Wales FIDE Open/Colwyn Bay Chess Congress 2020 (26th-28th June) - Venue Cymru, Llandudno.

With regret, we have decided to cancel the above chess tournament, due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We think it best to make this decision now rather than “wait and see” and potentially inconvenience people much more later.

Syringa Camp
Congress Organiser

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 pm

I see that the 4NCL has cancelled its Easter congress.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:49 pm

And the 4NCL Woman’s League.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:26 am

Dorset Rapid dwindling a little, down from 75-ish entries to 52 for today.

Syringa Camp

Post by Syringa Camp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:59 pm
I see that the 4NCL has cancelled its Easter congress.
As have Bolton
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Round my way, the Chester & North Wales league has been suspended sine die. The Wirral league decides some time today, but my current club, Chester CC, has withdrawn all teams. Hard to see the league carrying on in those circumstances, though at least one officer wishes to.

In Liverpool and thereabouts, a similar mixed picture emerges. At the time of writing, the Merseyside league is not suspended. But my former club, Atticus CC, has withdrawn all teams. So it's difficult to imagine the league continuing without its leading club. Meanwhile the nearby Warrington league has shut up shop until April 18 at this stage.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:41 pm

At present the Cumbrian league/clubs are taking an ad hoc approach - though that may well change before long.

Have a club game arranged tonight, I suspect it might be my last for a while.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Steve Lloyd

Post by Steve Lloyd » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:34 pm

The Wirral League has been officially suspended for at least 1 month.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Somerset League announced suspension today, initially for three weeks, which may be optimistic, but it gives hope to the enthusiasts here. I expect a longer delay.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Cumbrian league now suspended "until further notice", and tonight's club meeting might well also have been the final one for now.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:47 pm

"... makes you wonder if in some ways it's not a vote for a dictatorship like china, where they literally force people to stay inside, but at least it saves lives."
BEIJING

China reported on Tuesday just one new domestic coronavirus infection but found 20 more cases imported from abroad, threatening to spoil its progress against the disease.

The single case in Wuhan will boost China's view that it has "basically curbed" the spread of a disease that is believed to have emerged in a live animal market in the central city in December.

Wuhan and its 11 million people were placed under strict quarantine on January 23, with the rest of Hubei province going under lockdown in the following days.

Authorities tightened restrictions in the city even further on February 11, confining people to their homes as health workers faced a daily deluge of well over 1,000 cases -- a move officials say was critical in containing the virus.

Other cities across the country enacted further measures to compel most people to stay indoors, and no new domestic infections have been detected outside Hubei for many days in a row.

But the country is now concerned about an influx of cases from abroad, with an average of 20,000 people flying into China every day.

Beijing started on Monday to require almost all international arrivals to go into 14-day quarantine in designated hotels.

People who live alone, minors, the elderly, pregnant women and people with underlying conditions are allowed to confine themselves at home.

Shanghai extended its mandatory quarantine to travellers from 16 countries on Tuesday -- including the U.S., Australia and several European nations -- but said travellers may quarantine either at home or at a designated location.

Nine of the 20 new imported cases were in Beijing and three in Shanghai, raising the total number of confirmed infections from abroad to 143, according to the National Health Commission.

China also reported 13 deaths, raising its toll to 3,226.

The country has recorded 80,881 total cases, but fewer than 9,000 people remain infected.

The country's progress stands in stark contrast with the growing crisis in other countries, with the World Health Organization saying there were now more deaths and cases outside China.

The number of deaths worldwide has passed 7,000, with more than 181,500 cases in 145 countries.
Japan Today

Is 1 new case too good to be true?

Probably it is because China is now on a propaganda offensive mainly against the USA but also anyone else who blames them for the pandemic and is not grateful to them for showing the world how to deal with it successfully on a national basis.

(Which reminds me that I really should thank those here for labelling some of my earlier posts "racist" & "ignorant" thereby showing me, by self-righteous political correctness and indignation, the error of my ways.)

Syringa Camp

Post by Syringa Camp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:34 pm

https://twitter.com/ecfchess/status/124 ... 66080?s=21

British Championships 2020 cancelled

Undoubtedly the right thing to do, but sad nonetheless.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:07 pm

With today's announcements, those chess clubs that have not already voluntarily suspended their OTB activities will surely now be doing so.