Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: Coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:41 pm

It's very sobering stuff. The death toll in Italy isn't too far away now from topping 1000 a day. Often dismissed stories of 1800 people a day being buried in pits in China suddenly don't seem so far fetched. Our hospital in Lancaster already has areas pegged out ready for the army engineers to build temporary tented rooms, and lots of them!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:41 pm
Often dismissed stories of 1800 people a day being buried in pits in China suddenly don't seem so far fetched
Well once, again, repeating such stories strikes me as spreading rumours during an emergency, it's surely best avoided.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:07 pm

What isn't a rumour is that American GM Irina Krush has contracted it, though she is now thankfully getting better.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Sadly, Iranian arbiter Shahram Goharchin, age 42, has apparently died after catching the virus. https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comments ... ssed_away/

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:07 pm
What isn't a rumour is that American GM Irina Krush has contracted it, though she is now thankfully getting better.
I hadn't heard that but then found this: https://www.facebook.com/chessbaseindia ... 7782304262

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 am

If the virus is transmuted onto a chess set, which piece are you most likely to catch it from? Are pawns more susceptible to germs than minor or major pieces?

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:41 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 am
If the virus is transmuted onto a chess set, which piece are you most likely to catch it from? Are pawns more susceptible to germs than minor or major pieces?
Probably safest are a newly promoted piece, a knight on the rim, disconnected rooks, and an isolated pawn.
Last edited by MSoszynski on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:46 am

Well, the least vulnerable is clearly the knight. Walking the dog yesterday I passed a lady on horseback and we exchanged a friendly greeting. But as I passed the towering edifice of horse and rider I realised that she had achieved a very effective means of social distancing.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 pm

The Olympics are off, which may be what an Olympiad announcement has been waiting on.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 am

TWIC is probably a good indicator of how much international chess is still being played.

The only OTB event this week's issue has which started in the last week is the Candidates.

The only other OTB games it has which were played in the last week are the last two rounds of the Belarus junior championships and the last round of the March First Saturday tournament.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Even taking account of the likely under-reporting in many countries, Africa appears to be least affected by this virus.

So if there is any significant OTB chess in the coming weeks, it may be played there?
Last edited by Matt Mackenzie on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm
Even taking account the likely under-reporting in many countries, Africa appears to be least affected by this virus.

So if there is any significant OTB chess in the coming weeks, it may be played there?
In the next three months, official African Chess Confederation events are scheduled to take place in five countries. See http://africanchessconfederation.com/event-2/

It is perhaps less unlikely than it would be in any of the other three (FIDE) Continents that some of them might take place.

But I still consider it to be odds against.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:40 pm

There appear to be a number of Zone events coming up, which presumably all involve players crossing borders, so that may be unlikely

Zone 4.2 just finished in Sierra Leone, where it looks like the Senegal players pulled out halfway through the Open
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Re: coronavirus leading to cancellation?

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:16 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:18 am
I noticed no differences at the 4NCL. I didn't see any face mask, or people not shaking hands. I also noted that when we signed in our cars there was no hand wash or screen cleaner, by the screen. I'd be surprised if things were the same in a month's time.
Please would you report from this weekend's 4NCL as to whether or not you were right.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:00 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:57 pm
In the next three months, official African Chess Confederation events are scheduled to take place in five countries. See http://africanchessconfederation.com/event-2/

It is perhaps less unlikely than it would be in any of the other three (FIDE) Continents that some of them might take place.

But I still consider it to be odds against.
I seem to have been correct so far.

From the ACC website:

"On behalf of the Chess Federation of Lesotho and the African Chess Confederation, I regret to announce the postponement of the 2020 Zone 4.5 Individual Chess Championships, which were scheduled to be hosted in Lesotho from March 27, 2020 (arrival) to April 5, 2020 (departure).

This postponement is in response to the request made by the Lesotho Sports and Recreation Commission to the Chess Federation of Lesotho in compliance with the suspension of all travel from and into Lesotho by the Government of Lesotho following the worldwide escalation of cases of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak."

and

"In the latest communique from the President of the African Chess Confederation (ACC), Mr. Lewis Ncube, the 2020 African Individual Chess Championships that were scheduled to take place from 20th to 31st May [in Lekki City, Lagos State, Nigeria] have since been postponed in line with the precautionary measures against the spread of the (COVID-19). The revised dates for hosting the championships will be announced at a later date."