Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 am

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:32 am
Btw the candidates must also be in doubt now. What happens if they go ahead and one of the players, or one of the other people involved with organising the event, gets ill half-way through? they'll have got to that point and would presumably have to cancel.

the whole thing is a nightmare with no easy solution for the organisers.
Is everybody involved being tested beforehand? And are the tests 100% reliable?

(I ask, I don't know.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:38 am

Incidentally a large part of me rather takes a philisophical view-point. if you die you die, nobody has a divine right to life, so why live in fear? and there is one thing that has a guaranteed 100 percent mortality rate, and that is being alive. go outside and there are plenty of things that can kill you. and they can kill you inside the house as well.

then again another part of me suffers with anxiety and fear of flying etc, which is surely related to a greater fear of death. and I'm pretty sure that someone who is northwards of 80 with underlying health problems might not have such a blase attitude towards coronavirus as someone who is younger with pretty good health.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 am
Just listened to a long interview with Patrick Vallance, who comes across as a chap with a good understanding of how epidemics work.

Jeremy Hunt, David Robertson and Justin Horton think they know better than him, Tim and I think they don't. Not much more to say.
I just saw that as well, very interesting. Vallance talked of trying to broaden and flatten the peak in the UK. I'm assuming the strategy is, by allowing gatherings, as opposed to lockdowns like Italy, is to allow more people to catch the virus but over an extended period of time so that the health service isn't over run when they get ill. Also to build up a 'herd immunity' which will pay dividends for further seasons of this virus which we may be permanently stuck with. I saw a further report on Italy, we're 28 days behind them on the unmitigated curve, and yesterday 200 people died which was the same as the previous day and the health system there is struggling so much doctors are having to make hard decisions on who should get the beds and ventilators. Mortuaries can't cope so bodies are being stored in a church and some cemeteries have been closed.

Different countries have different strategies and we won't know which one was the best till months down the line. However, the medical experts in this country are very impressive and I'm happy to follow their advice for the most part.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am

The basic difference with Italy isn't strategy so much, its I think, where we are in the time scale of the infections advance?

There's only so long you can keep a population locked down as hard as they're doing in Italy. Also major side effects, including health.

So you can see the likely need to do it coming, but have to time it when you do most good with it.

It's similar with various other less drastic interventions. Do them too early and people get bored/stop obeying them at the point you really need them to be.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:46 pm
And do you intend to put that on your headstone, or somebody else's?
JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:15 pm
Let's hope they can take the appropriate precautions retrospectively
You have certainly changed your tune, Justin.

Less than two weeks ago, you were accusing people who were apprehensive about going to Chinatown of being ignorant and racist.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am
Different countries have different strategies and we won't know which one was the best till months down the line. .
Thia is pretty much* true and as far as it goes I have no quarrel with it: my quarrel is with people who want to go round accusing other people of "panic" because they themselves are being inconvenienced personally. That's not an attitude I care for much, not in the circumstances.

[* with a couple of riders, one being that to talk of different countries is of limited use while we remain interconnected, and another being that the responses of different government can be influenced by the politics of those governments as well as their professional advisers.]
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:12 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am

Less than two weeks ago, you were accusing people who were apprehensive about going to Chinatown of being ignorant and racist.
And so they were David, since no medical advice then or since has suggested that restaurants or anywhere else should be avoided because of their ethnicity. You might try getting your head around that.

That is what panic looks like.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:15 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 am
Just listened to a long interview with Patrick Vallance, who comes across as a chap with a good understanding of how epidemics work.

Jeremy Hunt, David Robertson and Justin Horton think they know better than him, Tim and I think they don't. Not much more to say.
Of course they don't. They've thought about the specific risks of playing chess, rather than general public health. I'd be rather worried if the experts had done that.

They're obviously much higher in this case with how it spreads & higher impact with the older people playing.

What that merits us doing in response might be a matter for debate. Teams League chess say is pretty small scale and localised geographically. A huge Congress bringing in people from all over the country isn't a good idea.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:08 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:46 am
Different countries have different strategies and we won't know which one was the best till months down the line. .
I have no quarrel with it: my quarrel is with people who want to go round accusing other people of "panic" because they themselves are being inconvenienced personally. That's not an attitude I care for much, not in the circumstances.
I agree with that but as far as I can see all Tim Spanton did was quote advice given on the BBC and for that you roasted him for a joke award he got nominated for 42 years ago.

R G Edwards

Post by R G Edwards » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:12 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am

And so they were David, since no medical advice then or since has suggested that restaurants or anywhere else should be avoided because of their ethnicity. You might try getting your head around that.
It's always amusing how those who are quick to use the word 'racism' never apply it to Australians. Or Americans. Or Germans. If the virus had originated in the US and people had started to avoid "Bobs Original American Diner" you would never use the word 'racism'. You might have called them stupid but nothing more. I think this is because those on the Left know that there's no traction in using the word in those circumstances. It doesn't show them as enlightened, tolerant, progressive and cool. Americans are just rich and fat, they don't need defending.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:38 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am

I agree with that but as far as I can see all Tim Spanton did was quote advice given on the BBC and for that you roasted him for a joke award he got nominated for 42 years ago.
It wasn't all he said, it wasn't forty-two years ago, it wasn't a joke on the part of MIND and it wasn't Tim Spanton's only contribution to the garbage pile of Sun journalism, but other than that...
R G Edwards wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am
It's always amusing how those who are quick to use the word 'racism' never apply it to Australians <etc>
Where are you getting this amazing nonsense?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:50 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:53 am
Keith Arkell wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 am
The last 2 rounds of the World Senior Team in Czechia were cancelled because the Govt here has reduced the permitted maximum number of people gathered together from 100 to 10.
OK Keith, be safe; are you all coming home early?
Many of the English are holding our nerve and waiting for our various Sunday flights. I'm Easyjet to Luton and had a reassuring email from them. Their website still shows my flight as available, though it could be at the mercy of more stringent Czech government measures. So it's two days of online blitz and Scrabble in a comfortable hotel, full board, with mostly reliable WiFi though I have to put up with losing the odd game through involuntary disconnection. I have the equipment for a teams of four bridge match but I sense it will be a struggle to get 4 players, let alone 8. I did visit Prague centre on one of my rest days but I never was an enthusiastic sightseer. Pre-tournament withdrawals emasculated our O-65 teams and I went from Bd 4 in England 2 to Board '5' in England 1 who finished well below their seeding.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

Thanks Paul, that sound sensible; take care
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:17 am

will heb get back for blackpool?

David Teague

Post by David Teague » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:27 am

I'm rather surprised there's been no talk of the Candidates being played on-line. There were telegraph matches yonks ago, and Fischer competed in a Cuban tournament by telex. Surely the competitors could be policed at their terminals with minimum contact with other people. The appropriate software is available, or could be adapted from existing programs!?