Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Covid-19 - Suspend Chess Immediately

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:06 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:46 pm
Cue: a shrieking BoJo U-turn
And there will be more.

But the entirety of the media still support him, even to the extent of claiming any criticism of the government on this is treasonous.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm
Perhaps more posts in the constructive spirit of Davids thread would put your evident intelligence to good use - rather than trying to prove said intelligence with every utterance. Its not a competition. A slight shift of emphasis and your posts would be fresh air :wink:

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:34 pm

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/coronavir ... IGC91aZh7k

“According to our estimates, we are hopeful that in April some of the vaccines will enter clinical research or be of use in emergency situations"

"While it would take at least 12 to 18 months to ensure the vaccines are safe for the general public, under Chinese law, they can be deployed earlier for urgent use in a major public health emergency, as long as the benefits outweigh the risks."

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:41 pm

My friend in Vigo in Spain, an area very recently locked down, is telling me the supermarkets are already effectively empty, a lot of people are flaunting the isolation orders and the hospitals are completely rammed full of people. He was saying only a few days ago that things were relatively okay. You’d kind of have to expect that this bubble of inaction in England is probably going to be rudely burst sooner rather than later.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:08 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:33 pm
Perhaps more posts in the constructive spirit of Davids thread would put your evident intelligence to good use - rather than trying to prove said intelligence with every utterance. Its not a competition. A slight shift of emphasis and your posts would be fresh air :wink:
If you're able to mentally shift the emphasis of my posts such that they're a breath of fresh air, I will call that a win. 0% of people have ever thanked me for the deferential way in which I told them they were wrong.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:41 pm
My friend in Vigo in Spain, an area very recently locked down
Just from today, I think (I wouldn't swear to it)
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
the supermarkets are already effectively empty
Certainly for a lot of things (meat and chicken, fresh fruit and veg, toilet rolls etc) when we went shopping in Jaca yesterday afternoon. My wife went to a supermarket in Huesca first thing this morning: huge queues at the checkouts, packed trolleys, the police outside letting people in only when people had gone out.
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
a lot of people are flaunting the isolation orders
Notoriously, tens of thousands of Madrileños got in their cars and zoomed down to their second homes on the south coast, causing much consternation among the locals.

Nationwide lockdown (not a total one, and contrary to press claims it's not a state of emergency) kicks off Monday at 0800. [EDIT: as of Sánchez's statement this evening, I think much or all of it has been brought forward to now.]
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
and the hospitals are completely rammed full of people
That surprises me, though we'll get there, and soon
Matt Bridgeman wrote:

He was saying only a few days ago that things were relatively okay.
Yeah, everything's happened really quickly. Timeline here.
Last edited by JustinHorton on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:45 pm

There is an item on the ECF website (with today;s date) recommending that (evening) leagues suspend activities from now.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 pm

(for an initial period of 3 weeks)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:17 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 pm
LOL. I lack enough scorn to heap on this. Don't they look at the data? In three weeks time, we'll be slap bang in the middle of a rising epidemic. Is the ECF seriously saying that, by early April, its members can re-enter the fray? Ludicrous. Weak. Brainless. But, oh, of course everything is being kept "under review" Pffft.

Adjust your lives to no more chess this season, no matter.
Last edited by David Robertson on Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:17 pm
Mike Gunn wrote:
LOL
Well there is a chance it might just all go away

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm

It is for individual leagues to decide on their own policy and the ECF cannot make decisions for those organisations. ECF

I have suggested We call Opponents.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:35 pm

"The ECF has been considering the operation of evening league chess during the continuing coronavirus pandemic. It is for individual leagues to decide on their own policy and the ECF cannot make decisions for those organisations. Our suggestion is that play is suspended for a period. A sensible period to allow for the progress of the virus to be monitored and reviewed in line with developments in Government policy might be for the next three weeks, with the policy being reconsidered at the end of that period. We would also refer you again to our earlier guidance – see Coronavirus guidance"

So in other words, "if you carry on and someone dies, we advised you to suspend play, but if suspending play turns out to be an overreaction, then it was entirely your decision".

Great work, ECF.

I guess we'll just have our regular club night with 20 people instead of a league night with 25, then.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
I am told the Warrington League has suspended for 5 weeks; I'm not seeing that in 5 weeks time things are going to be better than now, whereas it is possible that clubs could choose to play matches at the moment

We had 1 postponement last week in the Manchester League, which has been rearranged for late May

I expect we'll get more postponements this week, though my own club is minded to play if enough of our team, and the opposition, are happy to do so
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:35 pm
I guess we'll just have our regular club night with 20 people instead of a league night with 25, then.
Seems to confirm Stupid-19 is running wild in Newcastle

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm

I think we should cut the ECF some slack. They’ve given advice and it is for leagues to assess this, while also taking on board the views of their clubs and members and with an eye to everything else that is unfolding very quickly at the moment. We have taken the decision today to suspend the Leamington and District Chess League indefinitely. This was not a decision we took lightly, but equally it was not particularly difficult either.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'