Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: Worrying times

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:52 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm
A thousand people dead in Spain so far, while you're being breezy about death rates.
Not breezy, but if the tabloid headlines about deaths are wrong by a factor of perhaps ten, then I think that's worth mentioning. You don't. It isn't the first time we have disagreed, no worries.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:52 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm
A thousand people dead in Spain so far, while you're being breezy about death rates.
Not breezy, but if the tabloid headlines about deaths are wrong by a factor of perhaps ten
Right but

(a) we're a way, perhaps a very long way, from knowing the final toll (if we can speak of such a thing) ;
(b) I'm a great deal less concerned with "tabloid headlines" than with expert projections.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm

I guess if we've learned anything from this crisis, it's how selfish most people are.

Every time I go into town I see a steady line of cars going to the supermarket, when normally it's fairly quiet.

Who knew my town was full of hoarders and selfish shelf clearers.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm

I agree, getting an adequate weekly shop is increasingly going to become the bane of everyone’s existence. New tip of the day, either paper towels or plastic gloves should be available to use when people use petrol pumps. Apparently a bad area for germ spreading.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm
Every time I go into town I see a steady line of cars going to the supermarket, when normally it's fairly quiet.

Who knew my town was full of hoarders and selfish shelf clearers.
They're probably thinking the same about you.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:16 pm
I agree, getting an adequate weekly shop is increasingly going to become the bane of everyone’s existence. New tip of the day, either paper towels or plastic gloves should be available to use when people use petrol pumps. Apparently a bad area for germ spreading.
Can I point people towards the vegan counter? Nobody ever hoards the fake bacon or quorn sausages, and they are actually quite nice!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:38 pm

I’m vegetarian, and I’m finding Quorn pieces have vanished, and Quorn mince is a rare find. I think people are generally hoarding like crazy.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:01 pm

The March sales figures for freezers will make interesting reading.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Andy McCulloch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Did Madagascar close down in time this year?
Sorry, what?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:

"The Satan Bug" was an excellent book and ok film.

Full film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfsO4-u_-5Y

I watched this a week or so back. I enjoyed this as a child so a dose of nostalgia. Incidental music may be best part.

Richard Basehart in a trenchcoat tossing a vial around, dropping it on the seat of an out of control helicopter with one door open. If the vial breaks all life will eventually cease (other than him), ending with "a lonely albatross … or an isolated inuit ..." Cockroaches and rest of biodiversity not mentioned.

If you haven't seen it don't expect too much.

Of course might be healthiest to limit thinking about current crisis and anything vaguely related. Something more escapist may be better.

Andy McCulloch

Post by Andy McCulloch » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:33 pm

In the board game 'Pandemic' Madagascar was always the first place to close its borders

Regarding freezers, I have been unable to purchase a chest freezer of any size. The earliest delivery offered was in 28 days.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 pm
(b) I'm a great deal less concerned with "tabloid headlines" than with expert projections.
But has any "expert" ever explicitly multiplied a by b and got c? I think they have just dropped hints to the hungry media and let the armchair experts do the rest. This forum not being short of such experts.

80% of the population will get it, 2% of those tested positive will die. Great copy, but there's a gap.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
But has any "expert" ever explicitly multiplied a by b and got c? I think they have just dropped hints to the hungry media
You'd have to be a bit more specific about what you mean, I think: there's a limit to how exact they can be, as both of us appreciate.

(It's possible I do know what you mean. But bear in mind that the mathematics isn't necessarily done by the "hungry media" - it's also done by intelligent laypeople and people in the medical profession, who understand what terms like "worst-case scenario" and "up to" actually mean, and also underatand that there is a debate about what a percentage death rate means when different countries are carrying out different degrees of testing, enfocring different control measures and for that matter havehealth systems that can take greater or lesser amounts of strain.)
Last edited by JustinHorton on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Andy McCulloch wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:33 pm
Regarding freezers, I have been unable to purchase a chest freezer of any size. The earliest delivery offered was in 28 days.
That wouldn't matter very much where I live. Neither Sainsbury's nor Tesco have any slots available for the next 3 weeks for home deliveries, or even for collections from stores. Ocado have blocked access to their website for anyone who hasn't already got a delivery booked for this weekend.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:47 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
But has any "expert" ever explicitly multiplied a by b and got c? I think they have just dropped hints to the hungry media
You'd have to be a bit more specific about what you mean, I think: there's a limit to how exact they can be, as both of us appreciate-
Then why did you edit out the part of the post where I was specific?

80% of the population getting it and a 2% "death rate" gives the impression that 1.6% of the population will die. But it's nonsense.