Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Worrying times

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Maybe it is. Nevertheless the Imperial report suggested that
had the government continued pursuing a mitigation approach, that could have led to an estimated quarter of a million deaths in the UK alone... with demand for intensive care beds outstripping supply by a factor of eight to one.
You can take it that I understand the word "could".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:11 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 pm
Maybe it is. Nevertheless the Imperial report suggested that
had the government continued pursuing a mitigation approach, that could have led to an estimated quarter of a million deaths in the UK alone... with demand for intensive care beds outstripping supply by a factor of eight to one.
You can take it that I understand the word "could".
Unfortunately, academics nowadays get grants in proportion to their sensationalism. While their conclusions may be in the right direction, their numbers should be discounted.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 pm
Statement of the bleeding obvious for most of us, with the only people who didn't see it coming being the really clever ones who run the place. They will of course have organised matters so they don't come to any personal harm whatever happens.
Nick, how, even in your parallel version of things, can this comment possibly refer to the current situation but not to what has been happening, and will happen, on account of Brexit ? :cry:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Oh God, let us at least not do Brexit on this thread.

(Fortunately, Night of the Hunter is just starting on telly here, so I'm done for the evening.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 pm

well, I agree on the whole, but also feel that people should be aware that a second crisis is looming, possibly following very shortly after coronavirus, and seemingly likely allowed to unravel unhindered on account of the mammoth distraction of coronavirus.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:06 pm

You write a message of general goodwill and fellowship to all on the ecforum, and within a few hours, it is overwhelmed with gibberish from conspiracy theorists, Brexit weirdos (with their obligatory dismissal of all expertise) and general idiots. I really give up on trying to love one's neighbour. Mostly, he's an idiot.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:16 pm

No, Paul. It's the noisy neighbours who are idiots - just like in the real world.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Thanks, John. I'm sure you're right.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:25 pm

It seems that not enough was done in china to prohibit the sale of wild animals, and subsequently zoonosis transmission from animals to humans, after the original SARs outbreak. That was the first coronavirus to be potentially lethal to humans and yet animals were still kept in terrible conditions in markets, defecating on each other and so on, a breeding ground for dangerous diseases effectively. I wonder exactly what their government will do this time.

SARs was very scary and that should have been a huge wake up call, but apparently wasn't enough.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:17 pm
Nick, how, even in your parallel version of things, can this comment possibly refer to the current situation but not to what has been happening, and will happen, on account of Brexit ? :cry:
Sorry, nothing I have said in this thread impinges at all on Brexit, so please explain.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm

MODS: please, please shut down this thread. I promise never to wish people on this forum well again. Just make the cretinery stop.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:40 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:25 pm
I wonder exactly what their government will do this time.
Not much would seem the way to bet.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:26 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:17 pm
Sorry, nothing I have said in this thread impinges at all on Brexit, so please explain.
No, but that is my question - if you think about it (you may wish to go to the comment of yours that prompted mine). You see clueless politcians in this crisis and say that they will nonetheless "of course have organised matters so they don't come to any personal harm whatever happens". Yet you presumably do not see this comment as applying to Brexit; and my question was - how is that possible? To see it here, but not there?

But ok, maybe we should leave Brexit alone. I was just explaining my exasperation.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:30 pm
MODS: please, please shut down this thread. I promise never to wish people on this forum well again. Just make the cretinery stop.
Sorry if you think I was one of those blowing it off course. You are right to wish people well! But I wonder whether we are generally at the stage of anger "how on earth did this happen" and some way from acceptance, so comments will reflect that.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 pm

I'm sorry if my comment offends people. I should state that it's mainly the ruling party of China that I'm unhappy with- many of whom are extremely rich people. They have no excuse for not taking fair warning from the SARS outbreak and imposing tougher rules on the transportation and eating of wild animals. I see now they are banning eating wild animals altogether.

I don't think it's racist to suggest they need to toughen up their laws- both the Coronavirus cases came out of China. The smoking gun very definitely leads to that country.