Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Worrying times

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:50 am

Hi Nick,

Twice a week I get the midnight bus home, it is the bus from the airport (No. 300).

From December/January the number of masked up Chinese students rose dramatically.
Dramatically enough to cause comment by quite a few people.
Some were saying it is because Scotland is rife with colds and flu in Winter, maybe they are right.

The bus was full early January of travellers just landed, a lot students returning to Edinburgh university.
(if this coming across as racist, it's not meant to be, I think these students were as badly informed as we all were in the beginning.)

A few days later I was very ill with the creaking lungs, fever, etc. etc.. lasted for 5-6 days.
Whole family caught it. Wife was pretty bad, son and daughter mild cough nothing else.
First 'confirmed' case outside China was late January I was ill mid january.

Usually very healthy, this was probably normal flu and just a coincidence. Have to wait and see. Take Care.

(FaceBook Mary from Sidcup knows someone who heard from someone at the queue in a
supermarket that if you catch it and recover you are immune...till you catch it again!)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:23 am

Geoff, I never said it wasn't true! It wouldn't shock me at all if you were the first Scot to get it.

Lucky you weren't in North Korea, you would have been shot.

Stay well!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am

Hi Nick,

Not sure about that (me being English!) suspect governments knew how people would react so kept it under wraps as long as possible.

We really are stupid. We needed laws to enforce the wearing of crash helmets and seat belts etc. Now this.

Was thinking BBC should cancel all these repeated cookery, make over, buy antiques programs and put on basic
educational programmes instead. There will be 100's in archives. Recall Bob Hoskins doing one on basic maths.

The stay at home kids could get lessons that way. Parents could get an indoor routine going.
one hour of educational TV, one hour X-Box or what ever. Just a thought. At the moment it is the usual pap-crap.

Take Care.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:33 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 am
Not sure about that (me being English!)
Sorry, I did actually think that a moment too late. No offence intended or taken, I'm sure.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:45 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:

Was thinking BBC should cancel all these repeated cookery, make over, buy antiques programs and put on basic
educational programmes instead. There will be 100's in archives. Recall Bob Hoskins doing one on basic maths.

Take Care.
The programme you're thinking of with Bob Hoskins dealt with illiteracy rather than basic maths. It was "On the Move"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Move_(TV_series)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:45 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:33 am
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Not sure about that (me being English!)
Sorry, I did actually think that a moment too late. No offence intended or taken, I'm sure.
LOL, we'll await feedback from Scots offended at Geoff being mistaken for one of them!

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:57 am

Hi Nick,

No problem, Never took offence have a very thick skin and always give benefit of doubt (if any needed) when online.

:)

Hi Neil

Yes that is the program, I knew Bob Hoskins was in it. mid 1970's (gosh time just flew by) recall it has an educational theme.
They should re-run programs like that. Thanks!

Think I'll plug 'Chess for Kids' https://www.chesskid.com/ on facebook. I have many friends with children.
Maybe we could all do it. It really is an excellent site.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:50 am
Hi Nick,

Twice a week I get the midnight bus home, it is the bus from the airport (No. 300).

From December/January the number of masked up Chinese students rose dramatically.
Dramatically enough to cause comment by quite a few people.
Some were saying it is because Scotland is rife with colds and flu in Winter, maybe they are right.

The bus was full early January of travellers just landed, a lot students returning to Edinburgh university.
(if this coming across as racist, it's not meant to be, I think these students were as badly informed as we all were in the beginning.)

A few days later I was very ill with the creaking lungs, fever, etc. etc.. lasted for 5-6 days.
Whole family caught it. Wife was pretty bad, son and daughter mild cough nothing else.
First 'confirmed' case outside China was late January I was ill mid january.

Usually very healthy, this was probably normal flu and just a coincidence. Have to wait and see. Take Care.

(FaceBook Mary from Sidcup knows someone who heard from someone at the queue in a
supermarket that if you catch it and recover you are immune...till you catch it again!)
My wife (a front line NHS worker) had a similar mystery illness around a month ago. I think it’s possible when home testing kits become more readily available that quite a lot of people may be surprised to find they’ve already had it. The NHS hospitals I believe are still waiting for the mass delivery of kits that will allow key workers to finally be tested. An interesting fact of the lockdown is that the group most likely to spread the infection is the NHS key workers, who now have strict instructions to wash clothes and shower after returning from work each day.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm

Mixed signals on the streets of London today.
This morning I saw three policemen (one more than the power of two) hassling an Asian-looking chap who was sitting by himself on a bench on the South Bank soaking up the sun. One asked him what he was doing, and he said he had just finished a night-shift (I didn't catch what his work was) and was about to go home. The officer insisted he go home immediately.
This afternoon, near where I live, I saw a dry cleaner's open for business as normal.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Dry cleaners are on the stay open list

Pharmacies
Petrol stations
Garages
Bicycle shops, home and hardware shops
Car rentals
Pet shops
Corner shops and newsagents
Post offices
Banks
Laundrettes and dry cleaners
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Whoops, missed that, thanks

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
This afternoon, near where I live, I saw a dry cleaner's open for business as normal.
Taking things in? It would seem reasonable to let people have their clothes back.

edit : just seen above post.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Believe that we are already under Martial Law, The movement of Food Supplies is being strictly controlled by the Government.
Our Commissar is one Matt Hancock

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:45 am
Geoff Chandler wrote:

Take Care. You mean yer actual Bob Hoskins ? Must indeed be the End.
The programme you're thinking of with Bob Hoskins dealt with illiteracy rather than basic maths. It was "On the Move"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Move_(TV_series)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm
Believe that we are already under Martial Law
No, we are not. Not even nearly. I've been the first in the queue to call out the shambles of Government policy on this matter. But even I find considerable consolation in the Govt's & the PM's hesitation before curbing our liberties